Default Medical Marijuana Card - Effect on FAFSA

i recently got a ticket for possession. i was lucky enough to erase it off my record with a deferral program. i was planning to get a card until my school judicial officer told me that if i get a card FAFSA will not grant me any money for school. i do not see how this is possible cause a medical card is supposed to be between a doctor and a patient. i currently live in California and was wondering if this officer is just trying to scare me or is this true. Also he told me that if i wasnt 21 i couldnt get it anymore due to a new law.

Default Re: Medical Marijuana Card - Effect on FAFSA

FAFSA is a federal program ... possession and use of marijuana is a violation of federal law ... it could cause problems.

However, only a conviction for a drug offense WHILE you are receiving FAFSA money appears to be a disqualifier. If you go to this site FAQ site, it should give you some answers:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/faq003.htm

You can also call: (1-800-433-3243)

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Financial Aid only effects WHILE you are receiving aid, but along with the conviction, it also pertains to your date of offense/arrest. If you were receiving financial aid when you were arrested or convicted, you must complete an acceptable drug rehab, then you will be eligible. If you don't you will be inelegible for aid for a period of two years, then after that two years you will be eligible again.

Medical Marijuana---it is legal at a state level, NOT a federal level. I know it doesn't seem right, but it's so new that the federal law still is in effect. Financial Aid is federal, so they can enforce it!

thank you for the information, and i will not be getting the card. also even though i was given a citation for possession when i got to court they told me my case has been dropped in the condition that i pay for and complete this booklet course. i finished this all yesterday. it clearly states that if i complete this deferral course it will not show up any where in my record. and because i was never in front of a judge or in court i was never charged with possession, am i correct? therefore am i not required to tell fafsa about this incident? or will they know somehow? thank you

If you were not convicted, and FAFSA does not ask about arrests or detentions, then I can't imagine that they would find out about it.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links