Default Caught Shoplifting Civil Demand Notice, No Police Involved

This was the first time trying to steal anything except when I was 8. Not sure what made me do it but their was no security tag on it. It was at macys they nabbed me outside 3 of them I was like holy sh** :shock: . I felt so embarrassed and so horrible.

They asked me questions jotted down my info and gave me a paper that has a civil demand notice. It also says that I will be receiving a letter from the civil recovery department at macys west explaining the amount due of civil recovery and requesting payment an any possible additional court precedings. I have never ever ever been in any kind of trouble before and I am 24. What a great age to do something this stupid. The amount was 162. They took my picture and said it was for their own purpose and that it would not be posted up in the store and that they would use it for future refrence when I decide to shop at macys so I am not banned but they said next time they will make sure that I pay for the merchandise like I am going back their for a long long time. Guess my husband will not get tired of holding clothes for me any more. Also No officers were called and they let me leave.

My question is is what is a civil demand notice and what is probably going to happen. I can not sleep and really do not want to eat anything. I am trying to act normal but have not told my husband because I am to ashamed. I will never do this again I never want to feel this stressed. I have had some stuff done to me but never felt this stressed. I can not sleep. Worst part is I had the money to pay for it and regulary shop at macys and spend tons of money. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I am sooo stressed out wondering where i went wrong and why I was such a stupid a**. Please please help. :shock: ops:

Thanks syrin

Default Civil Demand

A civil demand is a statutorily authorized civil fine that retail establishments in most states can issue to shoplifters without first taking them to court.

Default What does that mean

Will they still take me to court??

Are you planning not to pay the civil demand?

Default i am in the same situation as you

I know exactly what you are going through. The police were not involved in my case but I am not sure if this will be passed along to higher authorities. Would love to chat more with you about this.

Default Yes I Plan to pay it

Oh Yah I Am Definatley going to pay it but am wondering what is going to happen afterwards. Do recovery normallly take you to court she may have been pulling my leg

1. Sponsored Links