Default Juvenile Sex Offense Disposition

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Iowa

Question:

I know a person who was deemed guilty for a sexual offense that happened when he was 8 years old, we will call him Jerry. The situation was over children being children and doing stupid things that some children think might be funny at the time. However, the parents of the other child "also a minor" took it beyond. We will call this person Pete. So we have 2 minors: a 7 year old that supposidly did something to this 3 year old. The court case happended when Jerry was 13. He was placed in 3 juvinile homes and there was a court order to release him to go back home to parents but that never happend. The homes tried to give him bargins like "admit that you did it and we will let you go home". He never admitted to it b/c it never happend. He went through 3 homes and never admitted to the crime. The case kept getting moved and at 17 he was put on the registry list for 10 years. The messed up part is that the Aunt was the one who really did this to the kid and she blamed the 8 year old for doing it. There was no evidence of anything happening just hearsay.

1.) Can he be removed from the list in Iowa since he was a minor age 8 when this offense supposidly happened and court happened at 13. The other child was also a minor.

2.) Since Jerry was a minor should he be on the On-Line list? Or list in general?

3.) Jerry is getting his record ex-sponged but does that also remove him from the registry list?

This case is so messed up and there are so many loop holes that most lawyers will not even take it b/c its very complex and so old. Jerry has been double dinged with an offense that he did not commit.

Default Re: Juvenile Sex Offense Disposition

He should (a) get a lawyer and (b) petition the juvenile court for relief from the registration requirement. Unfortunately, if my "spider sense" is correct about the story, there's a lot more to this than he's told you.

This is the short version. I have read all the court documents, seen all the dispositions everything. It happend suposidly when he was 8 years old. The case was brought to court when he was 13 years old. It states in the court documents. He was under house arrest for a long time then sent away to a juvinlile home. Then released at age 17 and put on the registry. There was no evidence it happend just based on hearsay. They did not order the babysitter/aunt to appear in court b/c she had the same thing done to her they did not want to bring up "bad memories" for her. Now her husband divorced her b/c he found out she was doing bad things to thier daughter. The only thing that hurt Jerry was a cop making the parents sign a form stating he (cop) could talk to jerry without parents present. So there was only the cop and jerry in a room at the age of 13 talking about this and in the reports the cop put. Jerry admitted that he may or may not have done this. However, the conversation was not recorded nor was there a witness. There is a lot more to this story you are correct, but the person this suposidly happened to, came forth a year ago and stated it didnt happen.

I know that he can get his record ex-punged due to being a minor and this happening at the age of 8 and going to court at 13. BUT - I don't know if that also follows the registry?

There are so many cases like this that maybe Mr. Knowitall' spider sense is alerting on the injustice that seems so obvious to everyone BUT the courts. By the time you figure out the courts are not interested in guilt or innocence it's too late. Jim T A boy who did an offense at 10 (touching his sister vagina) was convicted at 15 spent 3 years in adult prison where he was repeatedly assaulted by inmates (who did more then touch him) and is a sex offender for life. You're 50 and just got fired from McDonald's for something you did as a 10 year old How's that for justice?
    http://www.hrw.org/en/node/10685/section/8

Every legal person who reads the above (for however many hours it lives) first seek, not to verify but disprove. When they can't disprove it they'll just stick their fingers back in their ears shut their eyes and think happy thoughts.

I wish to god I could offer you hope it seems like a big misunderstanding and you keep wondering why no one sees it. The answer is they don't care.

Some of us are working hard but it takes so long. All of this is a direct result of the previous administration culture war and it's going to be years undoing it. Within a year we should finally ratify the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child (which we wrote) That will once and for all end the practice of charging children as adults and will define a child as 0-18 then all the insanity will end, unfortunately it will not apply retroactively. Ratifying that convention is one of our presidents highest priorities. America and Somalia are the only counties that refuse to ratify and we shouldn't be on a list with Somalia.

"It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law.
    This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." -James Fenmore Cooper

http://www.familyrightsassociation.com/
    Look through here or ask aardvark for the name of the organization where parents try and get help getting their children returned (a common practice when siblings are caught 'playing doctor' is to put the older child in foster care) or off the registry. As you will note there will not be a single poster to this thread with any sympathy (except aardvark) but you're used to that by now.

I wish there was hope and I am doing everything I can to find all the in and outs of this to make it better for him. Minors that are age 8, 10 and 13 ect... are double dinged. They go to homes and then are on the registry list for 10 years! It follows them around for life.

But yet, if some minor goes and murders a person just b/c they want the candy bar they are holding at the age of 18 they get to start all over but that person is still dead. You get my drift?

I just don't think they should paint everyone with the same brush.

what is aardvarK?

aardvarck is the user name of a person who knows quite a bit.

1. Sponsored Links