Default How to Leave the State With my Son

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Oregon

I've been w/ my sons father since 1998. We were never married & I'm unsure if "common-law" even exists anymore or holds any legal bind to our situation. We've been split up for a couple years now but continued to live together. We've lived in Oregon about 3 years now, formally from California.

My situation is this. I want to move to Virginia but my sons father tells me that he refuses to let me leave w/ our son. Do I need his permission to leave w/ our child? We don't have any kind of formal/legal arrangement whatsoever. I don't intend on hiding our whereabouts. I just want to know if it would be breaking the law to cross state lines (to permanently move) w/o his permission. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Want to Leave State W/ Son (or to Va)

Quote Quoting jasesmomma
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Oregon

I've been w/ my sons father since 1998. We were never married & I'm unsure if "common-law" even exists anymore or holds any legal bind to our situation. We've been split up for a couple years now but continued to live together. We've lived in Oregon about 3 years now, formally from California.

My situation is this. I want to move to Virginia but my sons father tells me that he refuses to let me leave w/ our son. Do I need his permission to leave w/ our child? We don't have any kind of formal/legal arrangement whatsoever. I don't intend on hiding our whereabouts. I just want to know if it would be breaking the law to cross state lines (to permanently move) w/o his permission. Thanks in advance.
    No, you wouldn't be breaking the law. However, the father could file in court and the court could order you to return the child to Oregon.
    Since you already know the move is going to cause problems, you should consider going to court before you move.

1. Sponsored Links