Default Taking Online Classes vs. Being Enrolled in School

My question involves child support in the State of:Texas
    my child is 18 and quit public school and didn't get his High School Diploma and the issue is he rather stay at home and take a few online line classes.My question is does Online classes considered just as good as public schooling and should I have to keep on paying child support?My decree is 18 or enrolled into full time into school and work towards a High School Dipolma which ever comes last...Help!

Question Re: Expert Legal Advise Needed

are the "few online classes" qualified to count toward completion of a high school degree/diploma? Are the number of units the child is taking considered a full load?

Default Re: Expert Legal Advise Needed

I'm quite sure it's credited towards a High School Dipolma but how do I know that he is taking the classes and not my Ex for Him?I don't think that it is consoided a full load program!

=525601minutes;309897]are the "few online classes" qualified to count toward completion of a high school degree/diploma? Are the number of units the child is taking considered a full load?[/QUOTE]

Default Re: Taking Online Classes vs. Being Enrolled in School

I take online classes. They are offered by my college and I receive the exact same credit as if I were attending the classes on campus. To be considered a full time student (at my particular college) I must be enrolled in 9 units or more. Most classes are 3 units therefore, as long as I take 3 or more classes I am a full time student without leaving home.

I suggest you find out exactly where your son is enrolled and what that institution considers full time.

As for his mother taking the classes - it is doubtful that this possibility would be considered for the purpose of determining the end date of child support. IF the child is enrolled for accredited high school classes AND the requirements are met that designate him/her as a full time student - then you will need to continue making CS payments.

BTW - are you sure you have the exact wording from the court order?
    Because if it really just says "enrolled and working toward" then couldn't that stretch out for years and years?? What happens if the kid is enrolled in high school and doesn't have a diploma but turns 21??
    Can you copy the exact wording and post it here?

Glad you are intrested in answering my questions for me.Here is the problem that faces me .My son lived with the EX's Parents up until he was 16 and went to Public School their at the age of 16 he skipped out of school so much the school got the School Officers got involved with it.So the Ex picked up my son and moved him in with her and tried to enroll him into the public school their.My son was so far behind the school had him enrolled into a Alturnitive School to help him try to help get his Diploma .Well that lasted a month before he skipped out on that program as well.So the EX checked him out of that and told the Alturnative School there that he would be home schooled.He suposley is enrolled on a online program that he is suposly taking from home per the EX.I really ain't buying it.The facts are he doesn't want to go to Public School and he doesn't want to got to a Alturnative School so to me I don't even think he even has the intentions of ever getting through this Online School System either.So now he has turned 18 and still has no Diploma.

What he needs to do is know is that he is a grown man not a child.He needs to stop living off of me and to take responablities as a adult instead
    of a child.He's 18 not 8 and I think the very best thing that would help him would to be serving in the Military.But like I said these are just my thoughts.

Here it is word for word from the Decree.

THE CHILD REACH THE AGE OF 18 YEAR,PROVIDED THAT,IF THE CHILD IS FULLY ENROLLED IN A ACCREDITED PRIMARY OR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN A PROGRAM LEADING TOWARD A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA,THE PERIODIC CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS SHALL CONTINUE TOO BE DUE AND PAID IN UNTIL THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR IN WHICH THE CHILD GRADUATE:

2)THE CHILD MARRY;
    3)THE CHILD DIE:
    4)THE CHILD DISABLITIES ARE REMOVED:
    5)THE CHILD IS OTHERWISE EMANCIPATED;
    6)OR FUTHER ORDER OF THE COURT.

Quote Quoting 525601minutes
    View Post
    I take online classes. They are offered by my college and I receive the exact same credit as if I were attending the classes on campus. To be considered a full time student (at my particular college) I must be enrolled in 9 units or more. Most classes are 3 units therefore, as long as I take 3 or more classes I am a full time student without leaving home.

I suggest you find out exactly where your son is enrolled and what that institution considers full time.

As for his mother taking the classes - it is doubtful that this possibility would be considered for the purpose of determining the end date of child support. IF the child is enrolled for accredited high school classes AND the requirements are met that designate him/her as a full time student - then you will need to continue making CS payments.

BTW - are you sure you have the exact wording from the court order?
    Because if it really just says "enrolled and working toward" then couldn't that stretch out for years and years?? What happens if the kid is enrolled in high school and doesn't have a diploma but turns 21??
    Can you copy the exact wording and post it here?

Quote Quoting Parentquestion
    View Post
    Here it is word for word from the Decree.
    THE CHILD REACH THE AGE OF 18 YEAR,PROVIDED THAT,IF THE CHILD IS FULLY ENROLLED IN A ACCREDITED PRIMARY OR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN A PROGRAM LEADING TOWARD A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA,THE PERIODIC CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS SHALL CONTINUE TOO BE DUE AND PAID IN UNTIL THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR IN WHICH THE CHILD GRADUATE:

2)THE CHILD MARRY;
    3)THE CHILD DIE:
    4)THE CHILD DISABLITIES ARE REMOVED:
    5)THE CHILD IS OTHERWISE EMANCIPATED;
    6)OR FUTHER ORDER OF THE COURT.
    That really does not make much sense. There are a lot of grammatical errors too

I think we'll have to wait for someone educated in Texas-speak to read your posts

Well Thanks Anyway for your help....I know over the years I said the same thing over and over but thats word for word on my Decree.I don't know about in your state but here in Texas the Judges are tuff on kid's skipping school and wasting the Public School Systems time and effort.

1. Sponsored Links