My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: North Carolina
I was recently pulled over for driving 84 in a 65mph zone in NC. The state police officer gave me a mandatory court date since I was driving over 80. I live in NY and will be unable to make it to court in May. I'm hoping the court will allow me to reschedule for June 8, as I will be passing through the state again at that time - although I was unable to get in touch with them today.
Needless to say, I cannot afford a ticket, nor lawyers fees or court fees. I am leaning towards having the warrant issued, but have several questions/concerns:
1) Will the warrant affect my employer, who owns the vehicle I was operating (insurance costs, etc)?
2) Will the warrant reach the NY State DMV, or my insurance company?
3) Will I be at risk if I am pulled over in any state outside of NC, or only if I'm in NC?
4) What kind of fees should I expect if I do go to court, or find a lawyer to appear on my behalf? What do speeding tickets in NC usually run?
5) How long will I spend in jail if I wait to turn myself in to the state when I have the time?
This is something of an issue as I will have to drive through NC this June, warrant or not - and will be passing through NC at least twice next year as well. Any kind of information will be helpful. I'm nervous about dealing with the courts because I get the feeling they see money signs and think I'm an asshole when it comes out that I'm licensed in NY. Thank you!