Default Repercussions of an Unresolved Warrant

My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: North Carolina

Hi there,
    I was recently pulled over for driving 84 in a 65mph zone in NC. The state police officer gave me a mandatory court date since I was driving over 80. I live in NY and will be unable to make it to court in May. I'm hoping the court will allow me to reschedule for June 8, as I will be passing through the state again at that time - although I was unable to get in touch with them today.
    Needless to say, I cannot afford a ticket, nor lawyers fees or court fees. I am leaning towards having the warrant issued, but have several questions/concerns:

1) Will the warrant affect my employer, who owns the vehicle I was operating (insurance costs, etc)?

2) Will the warrant reach the NY State DMV, or my insurance company?

3) Will I be at risk if I am pulled over in any state outside of NC, or only if I'm in NC?

4) What kind of fees should I expect if I do go to court, or find a lawyer to appear on my behalf? What do speeding tickets in NC usually run?

5) How long will I spend in jail if I wait to turn myself in to the state when I have the time?

This is something of an issue as I will have to drive through NC this June, warrant or not - and will be passing through NC at least twice next year as well. Any kind of information will be helpful. I'm nervous about dealing with the courts because I get the feeling they see money signs and think I'm an asshole when it comes out that I'm licensed in NY. Thank you!

Default Re: Repercussions of an Unresolved Warrant

If the warrant results in a suspension of your license in North Carolina, you should expect that will eventually catch up with you in New York, most likely when your driver's license is next up for renewal.

If you want to know what a lawyer will charge you, call some lawyers in the county where you were cited and ask them what their fees will be. They can also advise you on how to turn yourself in while minimizing or avoiding jail time.

1. Sponsored Links