Default Boyfriends responsibility for child support in California

I heard in California that if the biological father fails in someway to pay support that a live in boyfriend who has an established address at the mothers house may become responsible. Any truth to this?

Default Boyfriend's Responsibility for Child Support

There can be circumstances in California where a third party or subsequent spouse of a child gains parental rights over a child, based upon the person's history of acting as a parent, but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about.

First, no duty of the non-parent would affect the duty of the parent, so even presupposing a duty to provide support it's not going to let the biological father off the hook. But more to the point, if you're talking about cohabitation, why would there be any duty to pay support?

I think I heard that if an individual assumes permanent residents, and is a financial contributor to the household that he could be held responsible if a break up happened. For example loans, or debit that the couple has accrued. Usually through the woman’s credit cards with the promise of the man to pay (cash) back. All of this would have an impact on children, as the mother would be left to deal with the debit.

California has come down hard on the side of children regarding support. Maybe like that of deep pockets? I’m not sure

The division of joint debts and assets, or so-called "palimony", have nothing to do with child support.

1. Sponsored Links