Default "Court Cannot Enter Status-Only Judgment Without Prior Court Order"

My question involves divorce in the State of: California

Short story: I used to live in California with my spouse. We separated, I moved out-of-state to Virginia. I filed for divorce with the CA courts hoping I could do it myself since I have no $$. This is a no-dispute divorce with no children.

I've made it pretty far in the process, but am running into a bottleneck. I cannot seek help with the legal help center in CA for obvious reasons.

My forms have been returned to me with a note saying "The court cannot enter a status only judgment without a prior court order." Everything else has been filed correctly with the CA courts except I forgot to get the MSA notarized. I'm unsure what the cryptic message above means and this is the only thing holding me back. Can anyone help?

Default Re: "Court Cannot Enter Status-Only Judgment Without Prior Court Order"

Did your spouse default? If so, did you request a default judgment? If not, did she file an appearance, stipulation and waivers?

Does the court understand that you're not seeking to bifurcate proceedings, to get a judgment of divorce ahead of a ruling on other issues (e.g., property division)?

Default Re: "Court Cannot Enter Status-Only Judgment Without Prior Court Order"

Yes, she did default and I entered a default judgment. I'm not sure what the court understands I'm trying to do because there's no communication between me and the court besides a checklist they sent me that says what still needs to be filed.

1. Sponsored Links