Default E-mail Privacy at work

I was recently fired - part of the reason given was that I had written ugly things in emails about my boss. She had them printed out but would not show them to me. Ok, I got over it. I furnished several of my employees with AOL email in order for them to email me and I provided my own email for my boss to email me - the company did not provide an email service. When I was fired I asked that I be allowed to delete the email off of my office computer...my private email that came in with the 150 or so emails I received every day from my employer. She said I could. When I arrived at the office to delete the emails, the computer was gone. I asked the supervisor (not the woman who fired me), where the computer was - she said they had to take it to break into it. I told her I had the password and could give it to her. She said she would try to get the computer back so that I could log on. I didn't hear from her again. I did, however, hear from her husband who emailed me that he had broken into the computer I used at work and was in possession of my personal emails. He said he had stored them on a disk and was keeping them in his "safe". Today my ex-boss wrote and said she couldn't believe all the things she read in my email that was on this computer.

I can't tell you how appalled I am that this has happened and I can't believe this would be a legal invasion of my privacy. The company does not have a written policy on email because they do not provide email, only the computers.

What are my rights, if any, in this case?

Default Email Privacy at Work

If the employer owned the computer and authorized you to use it at work, don't count on Texas offering you any privacy rights.

1. Sponsored Links