Default Suing Credit Card for Giving Credit

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Illinois

I was just curious if this case would even hold up. I was a student in 2002 when citi approached me at school for a credit card. i applied with showing i had $0 to my name as well as now job and no credit history.

they gave me 2 credit cards with over 1,000 on each.

would this be a good case to sue over and what exactly could i sue for. I am currently in a lot of debt. with a high interest rate and am considering bancruptsy.

Default Re: Suing Credit Card for Giving Credit

Quote Quoting chicago84
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Illinois

I was just curious if this case would even hold up. I was a student in 2002 when citi approached me at school for a credit card. i applied with showing i had $0 to my name as well as now job and no credit history.

they gave me 2 credit cards with over 1,000 on each.

would this be a good case to sue over and what exactly could i sue for. I am currently in a lot of debt. with a high interest rate and am considering bancruptsy.
    Sue them for what??? They didnt force you to use the cards. That was your decision.

If you decide to file bankruptcy they now send you for a credit education class. Something they should do before anyone is ever issued a credit card. Ass backwards if you ask me

Quote Quoting chicago84
    View Post
    would this be a good case to sue over and what exactly could i sue for.
    Sue? Because you were irresponsible with your credit cards? How do you think that would work, without you being laughed right out of any reputable attorney's office?

Hitch up your britches and pay your bills, kid. The courts are not over-large lottery organizations designed to make you rich when you bugger up the works.

i read this article about deceptive practices:

http://www.thelantern.com/home/index...8-399839989795

never in a million years would i think they would approve me. i also was not aware i was signing up for 2 cards.

so as a broke college student i used the credit card. something is not right there don't you think?

how can they approve a jobless student with $0 and expect payment

It is shameless to target students who have $0 and no job and debt from student loan. I think they do deserve to get sued for at least the interest they charged me while I was in school.

No. Sorry, no. Not gonna fly.

As a college student, one presumes you're capable of reading. One also presumes that you understand that credit card =/= free money that need not be paid back.

It's time to grow up and accept responsibility for your actions, instead of crying to the internet that you were deceived. You weren't. You were simply irresponsible, and you won't find any sympathy here.

Just so I'm clear, your case would be what? You borrowed money using a credit card, and didn't realize you had to pay it back? You got bills, but you were confused by terms like "balance due"? Help me out here.

Contact a local attorney and bring suit (after of course READING the contract you agreed to, even without realizing it, the moment you used the card for the first time - because you'll need to see which court you agreed would hold jurisdiction - and I'd be willing to be it's NOT in your state). Even judges need a good laugh now and then. Then keep your social calendar open - Letterman and Leno will eat this up. If nothing else, it should be a fun social scene for a while. Just keep your fingers crossed that the cartoonist for The New Yorker does your profile some justice (that part is really a crap shoot).

The reason for the lawsuit is that the credit card company issued a credit card targeting a person who was not in debt to get into debt.

They are knowingly issuing credit cards to a person with no checking account and no savings account and no job. They are looking to get people into debt so they will forever owe them by raising their interest rates (something at the time I did not understand they could basically do whatever they wanted). I also did not understand that if I was a day late in payment I would go from 0% to 30% and not be forgiven for 1 year.

That is what I did not understand. Do you understand my point?

They purposely get people into debt and take advantage of students who are in desperate times. I needed books for class, food money, basic necessities. I was charging more than what I was making and the fact I was working to pay it off also negatively affected my grades.

Had they not been on campus giving out credit cards like it was just a free gimmick, I would not be in debt. I would have looked harder for more loans from school instead, which are more like 6%.

That is what I did not understand or have knowledge of at 18 years old. What is so hard to understand about that?

If people can sue for discriminating against people, like not giving loans to minorities, why can I not sue for discriminating for people, like giving it to students in order to make sure they will lock them in debt.

1. Sponsored Links