Default Towing Company Won't Release My Car Without Registration

My car was towed yesterday, so I went down the tow yard to get it back. They let me into the car to get the registration, but I could not find it. Uh oh! Now, despite my having proof of insurance, repair records for the last ten years, the most recent registration renewal notice, keys to the car, etc., they will not release the car to me. They won't let me into the car to look again either. I want to try and avoid paying them $33/day for parking (on top of the $247 they charged for towing) while I wait for a replacement registration slip from the DMV. Do I have any recourse here?

Sidestory: the circumstances of my towing were pretty strange too. I parked my car next to my apartment complex Friday morning, where I always park. When I came down to get it Saturday, it was missing. All the other cars on the block were gone too; it looked like the rapture or something. I called city information, and got the number of the tow company, who told me there was "temporary no parking" from 6am to 3pm Saturday. I talked to another resident and apparently they'd put up signs indicating this midmorning on Friday, after I had parked. I guess the expect that nobody in LA will go for more than 12 hours without using their car?

Default Re: CA Towing Company Won't Release My Car W/O Registration

I don't see any reason you would not be able to obtain a duplicate registration Monday. I cannot see anything other than that that would be available to you.

one thing you might want to look into is; is there a legally specified time required to notify when a street is becoming a temp no parking street. If they did not provide legally adequate notice, the city may be liable for the costs you incur. I do not know where to begin to look but it is not uncommon to have such requirements.

Thanks for the reply! The DMV website made it sound like the replacement registration was something I'd need to wait to have mailed to me, getting it immediately would make this much saner.

I do not believe that 12 hours is sufficient notice for temporary parking signs. My guess is, absent an emergency, the city may take it in the shorts on this one - or, at least for the initial costs. Provided, of course, the posting of the tow away signs was improper.

Here are the relevant sections for impound authorities on temporary signs pursuant to CVC 22651:

(l) When a vehicle is illegally parked on a highway in violation
    of a local ordinance forbidding standing or parking and the use of a
    highway, or a portion thereof, is necessary for the cleaning, repair,
    or construction of the highway, or for the installation of
    underground utilities, and signs giving notice that the vehicle may
    be removed are erected or placed at least 24 hours prior to the
    removal by a local authority pursuant to the ordinance.

(m) Wherever the use of the highway, or a portion of the highway,
    is authorized by a local authority for a purpose other than the
    normal flow of traffic or for the movement of equipment, articles, or
    structures of unusual size, and the parking of a vehicle would
    prohibit or interfere with that use or movement, and signs giving
    notice that the vehicle may be removed are erected or placed at least
    24 hours prior to the removal by a local authority pursuant to the
    ordinance.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting dleavitt
    View Post
    Thanks for the reply! The DMV website made it sound like the replacement registration was something I'd need to wait to have mailed to me, getting it immediately would make this much saner.
    Just go to the local DMV office ... it might cost $10 or $15 but you should be able to get it after filling out the right form (not sure what the charge is offhand, but you can go to their site and look it up).

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links