Unhappy Health Care Information

My question involves insurance law for the state of: California PC 530.5a
    I was taken into custody while I was at work this past week. Initially I was questioned about money I had taken from a patient. I returned the money and went outside to smoke. When I returned the cops had spilled out the contents of my back pack and found three items of interest: a copy of a presumptive medical card, a photo copy of triage notes, and a print out of my ex fiance's address which i had obtained using a secure web site. I wanted to know if this evidence in admissible in court? They never asked if they could look in my bag and since they had already recovered what was taken did they have a need to search my bag? This is the first time I have ever been arrested. I now Find myself facing a felony charge.

Default Re: Health Care Information

you have to go into more information. where were you when this happened? who do you work for a hospital, doctors office or what! second why would the police be questioning you? how did they know you STOLE someones medical insurance card and whose triage notes did you have AND WHY DID YOU HAVE THESE? also what are you........a nurse, a doctor, a janitor? you stole and you got caught. hire a lawyer!

I am an admitting rep. I work at a hospital. I was not initially questioned about the theft of the money by police. The house supervisor came to me first and advised me to return the money. Claiming if I had done so I would not be arrested. I returned the money and went outside to smoke a cigarette. At this point I had not spoken to police at all. When I returned the police had my back pack and had its contents spilled out on a chair. At this point they searched me and found nothing on my person. I was handcuffed and taken in for questioning. The reason I had the triage note was because I felt the chief complaint was humorous. The insurance info was there because weeks prior I was given the info by the patient so I could enter it into the system and update the patients self pay status to medical. I was being lazy and did not want to do it because it was time for me to go home. I made copies so the patient would think I was doing my job. I placed the info in my bag with the intent of shredding it in another department. I did not wan the patient to see me shred it. I simply forgot to shred the info. The address was simply to mail a letter. They also took the letter as evidence. I explained all of this to them. I would like to know if there is any advice you can offer on the situation?

I would like to know if there is any advice you can offer on the situation?
    Yes. Get an attorney, and start job hunting.

The attorney because it's exceedingly foolish to go to court unrepresented, and the job hunting because I would expect you to be fired in short order.

Other than getting a lawyer which I know I must do, does anyone know if the cops had the right to search my bag before even questioning me about anything? Is there anyone who would be willing to give me a professional opinion? I know I must face charges for petty theft, however I feel I am not guilty of what I am being accused of. Can I fight the felony and save my schooling and career. I understand I have already lost my job, but a felony would destroy any chance of me continuing my education.

Wasn't the time to worry about that BEFORE you took the money and put protected information into your bag?

Can I fight the felony and save my schooling and career.
    On what grounds do you think you could fight it?

You were caught red-handed. It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't a misunderstanding. You've got theft and gross dereliction of duty, AT LEAST two HIPAA violations, and apparently no remorse.

If you want a professional opinion, it will cost you. Go get that lawyer.

Quote Quoting veedub1985
    View Post
    My question involves insurance law for the state of: California PC 530.5a
    I was taken into custody while I was at work this past week. Initially I was questioned about money I had taken from a patient. I returned the money and went outside to smoke. When I returned the cops had spilled out the contents of my back pack and found three items of interest: a copy of a presumptive medical card, a photo copy of triage notes, and a print out of my ex fiance's address which i had obtained using a secure web site. I wanted to know if this evidence in admissible in court? They never asked if they could look in my bag and since they had already recovered what was taken did they have a need to search my bag? This is the first time I have ever been arrested. I now Find myself facing a felony charge.

thanks all of you for the informations,it very useful for me.

1. Sponsored Links