Unhappy I Have Left a Few Belongings - How Long Do I Have to Retrieve These Items

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York City.

My kids father and I decided that some one needs to leave the household, due to us not being able to get along. There was a verbal agreement that if I move out I would not be held responsible for the rent, this was also spoke upon in front of our landlord who agreed to it.
    I was able to move out most of my belongings, but i still have a few items to retrieve. My name now is off the lease as of this month April/09, but he wants to throw away my belongings, he drives and wont help me move them out and i don't drive and I always have our 2 daughters. I just need some help with this situation..

Post Re: I Have Left a Few Belongings How Long Do I Have to Retrieve These Itemss

Take a police officer with you to retrieve the property, however if he won't give it to you than theres not much you can do unless you have receipts for everything and they weren't gifts. You can file a civil suit for the amount of the stuff you have lost but without the proof (ie reciepts) the judge isnt really going to rule favorably without proof.

Default Re: I Have Left a Few Belongings - How Long Do I Have to Retrieve These Items

Yes I have considered an officer just to make the process easier of me getting my stuff without any communication.
    But the thing is threating to dispose of my stuff, like i said i don't drive and majority of the time i have my kids. One goes to school but my youngest is two months shy from being two(2)>

Default Re: I Have Left a Few Belongings - How Long Do I Have to Retrieve These Items

I need to find out how long I have to before the law is on his side and he would be able to dispose of my belongings?

If your ex- won't give you your stuff back, do as DonnyC suggests - see if the police will give you a civil assist to recover your stuff. Or hire a divorce lawyer and have your lawyer either demand the return of your stuff, or file for divorce and bring a motion for its return.

We never married,he keeps threating to dispose my belongings if I dont come by a certain time period, but I need to know how long according to NYC laws do I have to retrieve my items. I have to retrieve my own belongings he will give them to me but i have to get them.

Exclamation Re: I Have Left a Few Belongings - How Long Do I Have to Retrieve These Items

well then it boils down to how important are those things to you? If hes willing to give them to you and you disregaurd the motion to actually retrieve them then he has the right to dispose of your property within a reasonable amount of time. Get a friend to help, a neighbor, womens shelter, or a taxi and get your things or you will lose out on your items. You have to know somebody that can help you pick them up.

1. Sponsored Links