Default Suitable Offer of Employment

My question is in the State of Illinois.

I was recently laid off due to economic conditions. My employer offered me two options. First option was a severance package.

Second option was a Job at the home office. If I took the second option I would have been required to Move out of State, sell my house all at my own expense. My guarantee salary was going to be less than 1/3 of my current guarantee. I would have been working One weekend a month traveling out of state. I also would lose the Company Car and company phone.

I chose the severance package as moving away at my own expense for less money was NOT an option for me.

At the time I was told Unemployment would not be contested. However I received a letter from Unemployment indicating that my claim was being contested as I had turned down a Suitable offer of Work.

My question, Is a Job offer in another state requiring a Move at my own expense for a position that has a guarantee 1/3 of what my previous salary was a "Suitable Offer" and grounds for denial of benefits?

I am thinking if this is the case then all any company would need to do to avoid paying Unemployment would be to offer all employees they terminate a job in another state and expect them to move for less money and those that turn it down are ineligible?

Default Re: Suitable Offer of Employment

Quote Quoting geminitimelord
    View Post
    My question is in the State of Illinois.

I was recently laid off due to economic conditions. My employer offered me two options. First option was a severance package.

Second option was a Job at the home office. If I took the second option I would have been required to Move out of State, sell my house all at my own expense. My guarantee salary was going to be less than 1/3 of my current guarantee. I would have been working One weekend a month traveling out of state. I also would lose the Company Car and company phone.

I chose the severance package as moving away at my own expense for less money was NOT an option for me.

So appeal the decision
    At the time I was told Unemployment would not be contested. However I received a letter from Unemployment indicating that my claim was being contested as I had turned down a Suitable offer of Work.

My question, Is a Job offer in another state requiring a Move at my own expense for a position that has a guarantee 1/3 of what my previous salary was a "Suitable Offer" and grounds for denial of benefits?

I am thinking if this is the case then all any company would need to do to avoid paying Unemployment would be to offer all employees they terminate a job in another state and expect them to move for less money and those that turn it down are ineligible?
    Only your state uenemployment board can answer that. Chances are the employer didn't tell them the details of the new offer and where it was located, etc.....

Default Re: Suitable Offer of Employment

Good News, received notice from Unemployment today that they agree and benefits are eligible.

1. Sponsored Links