Default Bio Father Wants Custody of Child in Foster Care in Indiana

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Indiana

I reside in the state of Florida. About a month ago I received a letter from the FL. Dept of Rev. in regards to the child support that I pay for my son in Indiana. When I called the FL. Dept of Rev., I was informed that my son was in foster care and has been since 9/26/08. And yes, your addition is correct, it took 6 months for me to be notified. That part of the story is neither here nor there. Here is the situation. It is my understanding that Madison county would love for me to have my son, which is what I would like as well. But I am constantly being told that I need an attorney. The issue is, why do I not just have the right to have my son if his mother does not have the ability to care for him. If we had been married this would not be as much of an issue. Just looking for a little help here. With cost of an attorney and flying back and forth to Indiana, I could make sure that he has a nice room to call his own which he has never had.....

Default Re: Bio Father Wants Custody of Child in Foster Care in Indiana

If we had been married this would not be as much of an issue.
    You are correct. But you weren't married, so it IS an issue, and now you need to work within the system to deal with it.

Since you say nothing of visitation, I presume that your visitation was minimal, and that you never pursued joint legal custody of the child? Had you done so, you wouldn't need an attorney now.

You need one. Go get one. Fetch your little boy out of foster care and bring him home. Yes, there are financial costs now, but don't you think that sacrificing some money now is in the best interests of your son in the long term?

1. Sponsored Links