Default Suing a Sheriff's Department

does anyone know if a Tort Claim needs to be filed if the case is filed for Federal Court. My attorney seems to think he dosen't need to file the tort claim since we aren't going to file in my county?

Default Re: Tort Claim

if you are going to sue based on a tort action, you have to file it with the courts.

If that does not answer your question, you might try rephrasing it so it makes some sense.

Quote Quoting Hogster
    View Post
    does anyone know if a Tort Claim needs to be filed if the case is filed for Federal Court. My attorney seems to think he dosen't need to file the tort claim since we aren't going to file in my county?
    Yes, rephrase!

State tort or federal claim? You can't file a tort claim based soley on state law in federal court.

I was charged for a crime and acquitted. We are now filing suit against our local sheriff dept….. my attorney said we will take it to federal court. Do we still need to file a tort claim?

Quote Quoting Hogster
    View Post
    I was charged for a crime and acquitted. We are now filing suit against our local sheriff dept….. my attorney said we will take it to federal court. Do we still need to file a tort claim?
    No doubt he is going to file what is known as a section 1983 action, 42 USC 1983, deprivation of rights under color of law.

The 1983 action OR whatever the Causes of actions are ARE a TORT claim, a Civil lawsuit/complaint. Why do you think 2 seperate actions are mandated?

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    The 1983 action OR whatever the Causes of actions are ARE a TORT claim, a Civil lawsuit/complaint. Why do you think 2 seperate actions are mandated?

My lack of knowledge or stupidity...what ever. The other attorney that I was going to go with kept on saying over and over that we had to file a “tort claim” within 6 months from the time I was acquitted. I didn’t go with him because he was wanting a substantial amount of money as to the guy I am going with is going to do it on contingency.
    Thanks for the reply

Quote Quoting Hogster
    View Post
    My lack of knowledge or stupidity...what ever. The other attorney that I was going to go with kept on saying over and over that we had to file a “tort claim” within 6 months from the time I was acquitted. I didn’t go with him because he was wanting a substantial amount of money as to the guy I am going with is going to do it on contingency.
    Thanks for the reply
    Lack of legal knowlege, maybe, but don't label yourself stupid.

Obviously he was concerned about a statute of limitations to file suit.

I typically would file the tort claim as a matter of precaution. Mainly to give flexibility down the road. A 1983 action does "not" require a tort claim to be filed and is probably why he does not wish to file the tort claim. He has the option to pursue 1983 actions in state court (still exempt from tort claim requirements) at which time tort actions could be filed as well. It may be that he believes federal court is a better arena and he certainly may be correct with his belief. Also, he may believe that adding additional causes is unnecessary and can cloud issues.

Quote Quoting LawMan
    View Post
    He has the option to pursue 1983 actions in state court (still exempt from tort claim requirements) at which time tort actions could be filed as well.
    Although state courts are not divested of federal actions, such as 1983, if filed in state court, no doubt the govt. will Petition to remove it to federal court under 28 USC 1442 if the entity is federal. If not, and state, then 1441 may be a remedial removal try.

1. Sponsored Links