Default Credit Responsiblity

My question involves divorce in the State of: Colorado

I was in a common law marriage and filed for divorce. My ex has taken ownership of furniture as agreed upon per JDF1115 Separation Agreement. The debt for the furniture was also agreed to be 100% of the ex's responsiblity. The only problem is the debt falls under my responsibility per credit report. What kind of protection or outlet can I seek as to not provide damage to my credit?

Thank you so much in advance!

Default Re: Credit Responsiblity

Quote Quoting blayjin
    View Post
    My question involves divorce in the State of: Colorado

I was in a common law marriage and filed for divorce. My ex has taken ownership of furniture as agreed upon per JDF1115 Separation Agreement. The debt for the furniture was also agreed to be 100% of the ex's responsiblity. The only problem is the debt falls under my responsibility per credit report. What kind of protection or outlet can I seek as to not provide damage to my credit?

Thank you so much in advance!
    As far as the credit bureaus and your lender are concerned you are still responsible for the debt if your signature is on the loan papers.

You have no protection from the lender if your ex defaults. You signed a note to repay the loan. They could not care less about your divorce and your agreement with your ex.

Thanks for the response. If I were to get a loan and pay it off, do I have a legitimate claim to seek reimbursment? She has full responsibility per separation agreement to provide payments for the furniture.

Quote Quoting blayjin
    View Post
    Thanks for the response. If I were to get a loan and pay it off, do I have a legitimate claim to seek reimbursment? She has full responsibility per separation agreement to provide payments for the furniture.
    That is a very very good idea. But I would have your ex sign something so you can collect the payments. OR you can pay the payments ontime to the lender each month and have your ex pay you. If your ex defaults then you can go after your ex without having your credit scores trashed.

1. Sponsored Links