Unhappy Shoplifting at Meijer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I was caught shoplifting food items at a local Meijer store today, I think they said the sum total was about $119 worth. I was questioned by the Loss Prevention ladies there, and filled out some paperwork. Then I was taken to the police station, read my rights, finger printed, and informed that I will be getting a notice of my court date soon. I was also informed that since this was my first offense, that I should give the court a call within 10 days to find out myself, showing that I'm not a bad person and all that. Also, I was told that since this was my first offense, I shouldn't end up with more than probation as a punishment. Meijer itself is also fining me $200.

My question is, is this all true? What will my sentence most likely be? I'm scared and feeling INCREDIBLY stupid, times are tough and I didn't know what else to do to feed myself for the next few weeks, so I was desperate. I know it's no excuse, but that's the state of things...

I can't afford a lawyer, so they said one would be appointed to me at the court when my date comes up.

I'm really scared, I don't want to end up in jail... I don't think I could take it. I've never done anything like this in my life and I just wanna pay my dues and get past this. I'll never ever steal again, it's NOT worth it! I'd rather go hungry for a while than do this again...

Default Re: Shoplifting at Meijer

You will probably end up with a diversion program of doing community service..etc etc and not end up with a criminal record. On your court date, plead NOT guilty and ask for a diversion program.

Default Re: Shoplifting at Meijer

Go grab your phone book, hit the yellow pages, and find a Criminal lawyer with a free consult.

1. Sponsored Links