Question Court Order to Change Child's Name

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas

A little over 7 years ago, I went to child support court because my daughter received Medicade for about 2 months when she was a baby. Her father was incarcerated at the time, and he still is. He has a few more years to go. She's 9 years old now.
    When I went to court, it was determined her surname would be changed to her father's last name rather than my maiden name.
    I never received anything after going to court. When I called the Attorney General's office, they told me everything would be taken care of when he got out of prison and we went back to court.
    I really haven't been thinking anything of it since. His mother told me I can be arrested for not following the court order.
    Anything I've seen for Texas has said even with a court order, there must be an acknowledgement form signed and notarized by BOTH parents. Of course, he can't do this since he's in prison.

Can I get into trouble for this?

Default Re: Court Order to Change Child's Name

If you mail him the form, even in prison he should be able to get access to a notary. But more to the point, you're wrong - "When paternity is established by a court decree, only one parent must sign the application in the presence of a notary public."

But I wouldn't worry too much about what his mommy says. Nobody's going to be arresting you.

1. Sponsored Links