Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Question Court Order to Change Child's Name

    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas

    A little over 7 years ago, I went to child support court because my daughter received Medicade for about 2 months when she was a baby. Her father was incarcerated at the time, and he still is. He has a few more years to go. She's 9 years old now.
    When I went to court, it was determined her surname would be changed to her father's last name rather than my maiden name.
    I never received anything after going to court. When I called the Attorney General's office, they told me everything would be taken care of when he got out of prison and we went back to court.
    I really haven't been thinking anything of it since. His mother told me I can be arrested for not following the court order.
    Anything I've seen for Texas has said even with a court order, there must be an acknowledgement form signed and notarized by BOTH parents. Of course, he can't do this since he's in prison.

    Can I get into trouble for this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Court Order to Change Child's Name

    If you mail him the form, even in prison he should be able to get access to a notary. But more to the point, you're wrong - "When paternity is established by a court decree, only one parent must sign the application in the presence of a notary public."

    But I wouldn't worry too much about what his mommy says. Nobody's going to be arresting you.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Going Back to Court to Change Original Custody and Visitation Order
    By MikeD702 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
  2. Enforcing Custody Orders: Can You Enforce a Handwritten Change on a Court Order
    By RAS in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
  3. How to Change Court Order Since Ex-Wife Abandoned Our Children
    By kp_ in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
  4. Assault & Battery: Arrest Warrant,court Order Custody Change
    By jms21 in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 09:01 PM
  5. How Do We Change Court Order Without Court
    By ranger068 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources