Question Are Amber Flashbars Illegal in California

My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: California

I privately own a Police Interceptor that has an amber flashbar in the back window. I was recently ticketed according to California Vehicle Code Article 25250. After reading the code, however, I cannot tell whether the bar has to be actively flashing or not for it to be illegal. We have never used it before and we certainly did not have it flashing at the time we were cited. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Are Amber Flashbars Illegal in California

Quote Quoting Matsuken
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle maintenance laws for the State of: California

I privately own a Police Interceptor that has an amber flashbar in the back window. I was recently ticketed according to California Vehicle Code Article 25250. After reading the code, however, I cannot tell whether the bar has to be actively flashing or not for it to be illegal. We have never used it before and we certainly did not have it flashing at the time we were cited. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
    It is my understanding that they have to be flashing, and that their mere inactive display is not unlawful.

However, understand that if you have a "police interceptor" with amber lights in the back, you are a PRIME candidate for police contact because there is a very real possibility that people will mistake you for officers, or that people might think you are pretending to be. Since there have been well publicized events in recent years of police impersonators, expect continued police attention so long as those ambers are there.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thank you very much for your feedback and advice Carl! This was the first trouble we'd had since buying the car, so we never gave it any thought, but we'll be taking the ambers out now.

Quote Quoting Matsuken
    View Post
    Thank you very much for your feedback and advice Carl! This was the first trouble we'd had since buying the car, so we never gave it any thought, but we'll be taking the ambers out now.
    That is probably the best bet.

And when you go to trial, you might want to consider a trial by written declaration first, and point out that the ambers were not flashing at all. Perhaps you can include a copy of, or a quote from, the section, and describe where the lights were mounted in your vehicle. You might also consider to note that the light bar has since been removed so as to avoid any future confusion.

If you lose, you get to file for a new trial and go before the judge where you can ask the officer that question.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links