Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Custody of an Unborn Child -Parents Arent Married

    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Texas

    I posted a couple of days ago...I am an unwed expectant mother....

    I am trying not to stress during my pregnancy, however the father, my ex boyfriend, is constantly telling me how things will be done when this baby arrives...

    He and I are no longer together for a reason...I dont want to see him EVERY day....

    He thinks that when the baby is born he is going to spend 24/7 with me..and it. The thought of this revolts me at this point.... I know he has a right to see the baby...I will not deny him that...but what are the limits?

    He has also threatened to 'take the baby away from me' in court if I dont 'play nice' and let him have things the way he wants them.....

    I am a fit mother...I have a 13 year old son and I have had my job for 12 years. He claims that he will prove me 'unfit' because I am not financially stable...(This is due to the recession and me loosing 50% of my pay due to bonus cut backs)....Just because I dont have thousands of dollars in the bank, doesnt make me unfit....

    I really dont need this stress right now....but I am sick about it....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Toledo, OH

    Default Re: Custody of an Unborn Child -Parents Arent Married

    Sit down. Take a deep breath. Take a couple more. Just breathe for a minute.

    Normal breathing now?


    At the moment, your ex is NO ONE to your baby. You're not married to him (and this sounds like a good thing to me), so in the eyes of the law, he's not even the child's father yet. He's just some guy with an apparently big mouth and overinflated estimation of his importance.

    Right now? He doesn't have any rights. None. Not one. Zip. Zilch. Nada. ZERO rights.

    You don't have to "play nice" - or play any other way, for that matter. Tell him to back off and leave you alone or you'll have a restraining order slapped on him until after the child is born.

    After the child is born, he has the right to seek to establish paternity. He may either sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity or pursue establishment through the courts.

    This now gives him the right to seek visitation through the courts and gives you the right to seek child support.

    Did you see what right he has? He has the right to ask the court to establish visitation. The court. He doesn't get to decide. He may ask the court, and the judge gets to decide.

    The judge will NOT decide that he can come over whenever he pleases. Visitation and custody arrangements will be structured.

    He can threaten to take the baby away all he wants. His threats mean nothing. You are correct in that not being rich does not make you unfit.

    Relax. Take care of yourself. And when the time comes to go to court about visitation, take a lawyer with you. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Interstate Custody of Unborn Child
    By natasama in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 03:33 PM
  2. Child Custody/Visitation: Parents Were Never Married
    By sunglasses74 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
  3. Laws Against Abandonment of Pregnat Woman and Unborn Child when Married
    By empire911 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 12:10 AM
  4. In Louisiana: Need Help With Custody Issues Of An Unborn Child
    By Louisiana70809 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Custody Of an Unborn Child
    By 999Darkness666 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources