Default Slander Falsely Accused of Cheating on My Wife

My question involves defamation in the state of: VA

First off I'll give a little background info.

My wife, 3yo daughter, and I live right in the middle of her family, our land was given to us for a wedding gift 6yrs ago by her grandmother who lives next door, her older brother is the next house up, her mother lives a little farther up the driveway, her younger brother lives about a mile away and other assorted family members (aunt, cousins etc.) live in the same community. So I'm the outcast (biggest mistake we made was moving here) The family has always disliked me because I don't play by their rules and speak my mind. They always tell my wife she can do better and that she needs to leave me.

Now my current situation. I work at the same place her younger brother does and he has came home and told his family and has also told other employee's at work that I'm cheating on my wife with a woman I work with which is not true. Her mother has told god only knows how many people this rumor, including my wife's best friend and everyone believes it because I'm the outsider. My wife and I have a great relationship and she knows I would not cheat on her but this has put a strain on us and caused unneeded stress. not only do I feel like everybody in the community looks down on me and talks about me but now this is being told at my workplace and where I work this could cause me to loose my job.

My wife has tried to talk to them but they will not listen, they tell her I'm lying and just want me out of the picture. We both know the best thing would be to move but we owe too much on our house to sell.

Where should I go from here?

Default Re: Slander Falsely Accused of Cheating on My Wife

Well, first, what are the amount of your monetary damages?

Then, you will find an attorney in civil matters. He/she will sue the other parties for the amount of your monetary damages.

Bring about 10K to the initial meeting... that is what a case like this runs.

But, you say, there is no way I have 10K worth of damages.

Then your path is clear.

The only way the damages would be that much is if it costs me my job or the stress causes me to have a heart attack, ether way were still stuck in the middle of everything. because we can't afford to move.

Quote Quoting jrh_outdoors
    View Post
    The only way the damages would be that much is if it costs me my job or the stress causes me to have a heart attack, ether way were still stuck in the middle of everything. because we can't afford to move.
    I was not trying to be cruel. Slander is expensive to prove and litigate and folks usually don't understand the expense.

Have you thought about confronting this head on? Have everyone over for a BBQ without the kids and just talk it out? Calmly and cooly.

I was hoping we could claim the cost of moving and the loss on the house. I wish the BBQ would work but we've already talked about it months ago and it's just getting worse.

Quote Quoting jrh_outdoors
    View Post
    I was hoping we could claim the cost of moving and the loss on the house. I wish the BBQ would work but we've already talked about it months ago and it's just getting worse.
    Then let's get off the legal side.. cause that isn't really feasible.

Kill em with kindness.

Anything they say or do, answer it will goodness and light. If someone throws leaves in your yard, rake em up and invite all the kids over to jump in them. If someone paints a mean message on the side of the house that faces yours, tell them that you love the new color scheme and offer to help them paint the rest of the house.

i have a huge family. These things happen. You are the focus of the month. Be nice for long enough, and the family will find another focus.

1. Sponsored Links