Default Neighbor Building Fence on My Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Texas I have lived in my home for thirty five years. I have seen numerous surveys in this neighborhood and know where my property line is. My neighbor of 3 years is trying to move the fence which was on his property line when he purchased his home three feet over on my property. I tried to talk to him but he acted like a cave man...stomped off and said he was building the fence. How do I stop him through legal channels. He will not speak to me. The neighbor behind us still has an iron marker up showing the true property line...Help! What can I do now?

Default Re: Neighbor Building Fence on My Property

Is a permit required to build a fence in your neighborhood? If so, does he have one?

Default Re: Neighbor Building Fence on My Property

The first thing to do is locate your corners, so you have every certainty as to the location of your property line. Call your surveyor and have him come to your lot and flag up the corners and actually show it to you (I mean, meet him there and let him put his finger on it). Also have him "reference" the corners (tie existing planimetric features to the corner monuments on the side of your property adjoining the "bad" neighbor(that way, if the neighbor moves the corner, you will have proof as to its' previous and correct position). Be sure to give your neighbor a copy of your survey. Have several more at hand for the future.

The new work by your surveyor will probably cost you $200-$400 dollars, but it will be worth it. Not too many people are gonna continue to argue with that monument (especially if his surveyor is honoring it also). Show a couple of your neighbors the monument as soon as your surveyor has come back out and flagged it up.

Do not argue with your neighbor. Be neutral, but be firm. That is your corner, has always been your corner and has never moved. If he continues in his plan to build his fence, then it's attorney time, unfortunately.

1. Sponsored Links