Default Suspicious "Collection Agency"

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: CA

I've been harassed by calls from the "Federal Investigations Agency." Their number is 201 984 1937. A search online yields complaints from people saying they're scammers. I received one call of a threatening nature ("Please give us a call before something goes wrong with you.") They say I owe money to "SJM Marketing," but when I called THAT number, the rep told me I don't owe money.

So I called "FIA" back to ask for a mailing address so I could send a debt validation letter to see my alleged debt in writing, which is my right. They refused to give me any mailing address.

Anyone heard of them? What steps can I take to report these people, or, in the off-chance there IS some overlooked debt, obtain valid documentation of said debt (but I don't it is valid)?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Suspicious "Collection Agency."

First, their very name is misleading and a violation of the FDCPA:

807. False or misleading representations
    A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading
    representation or means in connection with the collection
    of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:
    (1) The false representation or implication that the debt collector is vouched for, bonded by, or affiliated with the United States or any State, including the use of any badge, uniform, or facsimile thereof.
    what is their telephone number?

Also, if they do not send you a letter within 5 days of the initial telephone call, with the required 1692g notice, there is another violation.

Their number is 201 984 1937, but they've called from numbers in the 650 and 415 area code.

And yes, that seems like it should be a violation- representing yourself as "Federal" or some such.

Thanks for the info.

Another question: is an outfit like this able to put a "fraud alert" on my SSN #? Someone mentioned that possibility.

I would suggest filing a complaint with the FTC, and consider filing a report with your local police and the state attorney general. This sounds like it could be a fraudulent operation.

1. Sponsored Links