Default Creditor won't update credit report after discharge

Hello all -I filed BK7 18 months ago in AL and was discharged in due time. My major creditor is still reporting a past due balance of 25K with no mention of the debt being included in BK. The 25K is hurting my efforts to rebuild my credit. I have disputed the account 3 times on all three bureaus, and it keeps coming back verified, despite the fact that it is blatently wrong. My BK attny won't return my calls and I ran this by another attny who wasn't sure what to do. Can I sue the creditor and/or the credit bureaus? I did try calling them, but they told me to dispute and, of course, when I did that nothing happened.

Are they in violation of the FCRA? Contempt of Bankruptcy? Are there civil penalties, as for debt collectors who violate the FDCPA? I really want this account correct, but wouldn't object to collecting a little profit on their willful noncompliance as well. I want to write them a strong letter and get this mess fixed.

Thanks for any insight.

Default Problem with Creditor Post-Bankruptcy

You should contact the creditor and ask them to correct the balance to $0. Have you done that yet?

1. Sponsored Links