Question Fla. Support Question-Shared

My question involves child support in the State of: Florida

I am currently paying support in NY for a child I had out of wed-lock with a person who moved to florida. It has taken 6 years but I now have agreement from my spouse ( the lady I live with and have been married to for 25 years) to move to fla if I want so I can be closer to my child. Now that she has agreed to uproot our family, we have 3 daughters, she is asking me the following:

Will my payments $650 be changed to 18 years old instead of the 21 it is in NY?

Or can I get shared custody and pay less or nothing due to the fact I have relocated to be close to my child and am willing to share in the upbringing of the child both emotionally and financially.

We haven't yet moved but realize that we need to sell our home, get new jobs and before changing our lives we don't want to be sandbaged by custodial mother, who is very happy with me only talking to our child 4-6 times a week and spending the money on personal items.

Thank you

Default Re: Fla. Support Question-Shared

Quote Quoting unwed2thelady
    View Post

I am currently paying support in NY for a child I had out of wed-lock with a person who moved to florida. It has taken 6 years but I now have agreement from my spouse ( the lady I live with and have been married to for 25 years) to move to fla if I want so I can be closer to my child. Now that she has agreed to uproot our family, we have 3 daughters, she is asking me the following:

No, they will not. They will still go to the mother of the child.

View Post
    Or can I get shared custody and pay less or nothing due to the fact I have relocated to be close to my child and am willing to share in the upbringing of the child both emotionally and financially.
    You may get shared legal custody and more visitation, however it will not negate your financial responsibility to your child. You will still have to pay unless the mother of the child agrees to do so.

View Post
    We haven't yet moved but realize that we need to sell our home, get new jobs and before changing our lives we don't want to be sandbaged by custodial mother, who is very happy with me only talking to our child 4-6 times a week and spending the money on personal items.

Thank you
    She can spend the money on whatever she wishes so long as the child is fed, has a roof over her head and has clothes on her back.

Default Re: Fla. Support Question-Shared

View Post

Thank you
    Unless you and ex can come to an agreement in court, the CS will continue until age 21 because the initial order was issued in NY.

After you move, you will need to have the NY order registered in FL so that you can file for a modification of custody and possibly CS. You can read FL's custody laws in chapter 61 at www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES

1. Sponsored Links