Question Towed from My 9 Unit Condo Parking Lot

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Illinois

I live in chicago, IL and last week my sister had brought my car up to the city to visit. Our parking lot is not set up very well and parking is almost impossible in my spot when other cars are home.

she pulled into the parking lot that is set up something like this

ALLEY
    l1l2l l3l4l * is the symbol for dumpster
    .*......6
    ....""""
    (Garage w/2 spots)

Hard to visualize I know.. but there is a building on three sides and the entrance from the alley between 2 and 3. My spot would be lovely number 6 closest to the garage and in front of the dumpster.

So my sister pulled in between spot 2 and 3 and eveyrone happened to be home this sat morning so it was a filled lot. spot number two is an Infinity QX56 (Really big SUV) and way over their parking line restrictions. It was a basic sized mid car in spot 3. Also, it had just snowed and they never tow the back alley and do a poor job of plowing the parking lot... what they do shovel usually gets piled along the garage wall where I park.

so, back to the story she pulls in and realizes there is not enough space to get into my spot without hitting either the car in spot 5 or in spot 2. she tries to back up, but the snow prevents her from getting all the way out and the building on the opposite side of the alley doesn't allow much room for reversing. She gets out of the car and comes up to my apartment so she can get the kids inside and let me finish getting ready so I can help her get the car backed out. A half hour upstairs and we are back to the parking lot ready to take the kids to the museum, but the car has been towed by someone in the building. $170 to get it out and not even a knock on the door to let me know what was going on. My balcony literally looks over my parking spot.

what can I do to get my money back. Is there any regulations to the time limit or notification... or even size alloted for parking spaces?

Default Re: Towed from My 9 Unit Condo Parking Lot

You're stating that your sister parked on the line between two spaces? These are all assigned spaces, not open to public parking? What do the signs say when you enter the parking lot, or otherwise in the parking lot, about parking and towing? What does your lease say?

My parking lot has the general towing sign that says all unauthorized cars will be towed at owners expense. The parking is assigned but there is nothing stating that there is guest or tenant parking. It was just a photo copied paper that was put by the door one day with apartment numbers placed into the parking spots on a drawing.

Also, In my lease it doesnt state anything detailed about parking. Just the general Chicago parking lease. nothing about assigned parking or towing.

Yes, my sister parked in the space between two spots that leads to the garage of the building because she was unable to get into my assigned spot because the parking was set up very poorly due to lack of space for all the apartments to have one. The van my sister was driving is actually owned by me, but she uses it for the kids.

So the vehicle was owned by you, but was nonetheless an unauthorized vehicle? How does that help you?

1. Sponsored Links