Default Moving to a Different County

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

I am currently on probation in Ohio and have four years out of five remaining. I am planning on getting married but will need to move to a different county in order for that to happen. The county is contiguous to my current county of residence. My probation officer says that he will not allow me to move. Is that something which I can move my sentencing court to effectuate?

I am currently on courtesy supervision in another county because it is the county of my residence which is different from my county of incarceration. It appears that O.R.C. 2929.15 is the statute that allowed my sentencing judge to have this courtesy supervision imposed. Does that same section allow the judge to hear a motion to move to another county and override my probation officer's decision?

I realize that judges will rarely override a PO but I have reason to believe that this judge might if he has the authority to do so.

Default Re: Moving to a Different County

Q: My probation officer says that he will not allow me to move. Is that something which I can move my sentencing court to effectuate?

A: You can certainly ask. The judge will say either yes or no. Considering that the judge will need to take in the caseloads of the probation officers plus the efficient running of the system, I suspect the answer will be no.

But, it certainly won't hurt to ask.

1. Sponsored Links