Default Nurse Drops Partially Paralyzed Stoke Patient

Hello

My mother had a stoke in January leaving her paralyzed on the left side of her body. She was transfered for a small hosiptal to a larger one with a Rehabiliation wing in Florida. About two weeks ago a nurse dropped her on the floor while attempting to transfer her from the bed to a wheelchair. She did not break anything but is still experiencing a lot of pain on the leg that she feel down on. My Mother is on Medicare and I am concerned that fall may have prolonged her healing process and I am sure medicare has some kind of cap on the amount of day a patient can stay in rehab. Does anyone have any advise on this?

Default Re: Nurse Drops Partially Paralyzed Stoke Patient

There's a legitimate question as to whether the nursing home followed proper procedure for transferring your mother. When proper procedures are followed, falls (particularly in a transfer from a bed to a wheelchair) should be rare.

For now, I suggest hoping for a speedy recovery so that this doesn't become more of an issue. If your mother will incur additional costs due to the fall, I suggest starting with a discussion with the administrator of the nursing home to see what (if anything) you can work out.

Note that if you have questions about the quality of the care in the home, you also need to be very careful about their procedures for preventing bedsores (decubitus ulcers).

1. Sponsored Links