Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DWI Limited Driving Privilege Transfer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: North Carolina

Hi Experts

Recently I got convicted for a DWI, with 1 year unsupervised probation, 24 hrs community service. Due to the nature of my job I have to frequently travel in different states. I was issued a limited driving privilege here in NC which is good for a year. Now I might be moving out of state for next job(not sure where yet though).

My question is can my limited privilege be transfered accordingly to any state or will I be barred from driving in any other state. How do I deal with the situation?

Please help

Default Re: DWI Limited Driving Privilege Transfer

You mean, if you get a new license in another state? That is usually extremely problematic during a period of suspension. But laws are different in each state, so it will depend upon the laws and policies of the state to which you move.

Thank you Mr knowitall, however my question still remains unanswered:

My license is suspended till February 3rd 2010 in the state of North Carolina, however, DMV has issued me a limited Driving privilege till feb 3rd 2010 and after that I can have my original license re-instated. But in the mean time if I move our of state can I drive with the same limited privilege document in any states?

Thanks

Nobody here is going to research the laws of every state and tell you how each will treat your suspension. Once you decide where you're going to move, let us know.

No State is going to transfer a hardship license. They simply cannot take the time to call your state of licensure, find out what the offense was, then check to see if there is a similar suspension in their State. It is pretty much standard policy in every State.

Even if you are driving through another State, you are bound by the restrictions on your NC license. If they are hourly, then as much as one minute after your time on the NC license...you are driving unlicensed and when NC finds out...you are driving suspended. Your are suspneded during ALL other hours. You will receive another one yr suspension from NC if you violate the time restriction.

First of all let me thank you all for your information. I know you all have the right to yell at me, as I've committed a blunder. I just lost my job and chances of getting other soon is very less. I never had a master's degree and it was my dream and one university in Arizona has accepted me so I want this year of loosing job to end on a productive note by pursuing my Masters. But I still seek help from you all as I'm already in the hardship.

I am moving to the state of Arizona next in third week of march. What steps should I take to preserve my driving rights in the state of Arizona under this hardship license issued for the state of north Carolina.

I would appreciate your opinions so I could simplify my life under this situation.

Thank you.

as long as you adhere to the restrictions on your NC license while driving in AZ, you should have no probelm. When your suspension is completely up (meaning you can get a full license back), if you want to convert to an AZ license you will need to produce a driving record from NC showing the hardship restriction is no longer there as your actual license will still have it on there.

Arizona requires people to obtain an Arizona driver's license immediately upon starting a job in the state.

But if he applies for 7 or more semester hours at school while there he is not bound by that. Also, AZ clearly has a probelm with this with the FEderal Government. With a holder of a CDL license, they cannot hold more than one license.; they are bound by the Federally mandated "one license rule". If they live in say New Mexico they HAVE to hold their CDL there. So what if they "work in AZ?" Then what?. The State of AZ completely worded this policy incorectly. In almost every State you have to hold a license in the State that you "reside". Almost anyone could skirt around Arizona's "work" policy. It violates FEderal law w/ CDL drivers. A law that they, themselves agreed to adhere to (Commercial driver's license act of 1986).

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast