Default Paychecks and Overtime Law

The company I work for runs pay periods from the 1-15th, and 16-end of month... we get paid 5 business days after the close of the pay period. ths is annoying b/c it's never on the same day, but that's not the point....

this pay period just ended on 3/31, a thursday. I worked Mon 10.25 hours, Tues 7.75, Wed 8, Thurs 9 equals 35 hours at the close of the pay period.... on Friday, the 1st day of the new pp i worked 9 hours.

what the co. does is pay me for 8 hours worked per day from m-th, and carries over the other 3 hours to the next check. i'm not getting screwed out of my OT, but the way they're doing it, i get paid for 32 reg hours now, and 8 reg hours and 4 OT on the next check.... I think i should be getting 35 reg hours now (since that's what i've worked) and get 5 reg, 4 OT hours on the next check (b/c that's what i worked in that pay preiod)!!!!!

I'm trying to find out if what they're doing is legal or not...bc i want to make them change it... any help would be appreciated, Thanx.

Default Florida Overtime Law

Your situation probably requires analysis under both state and federal overtime laws; it is way outside my areas of practice. You would likely be best served by posing your question to a lawyer in Florida who handles employee wage claims.

but it's not that i'm getting screwed out of OT. i'm getting paid all my hours, I was just under the impression that when you define a pay period and a pay date for said pay period that you would have to pay the employee for all the hours worked in that pay period.

1. Sponsored Links