Default Transgender Student's Use of Rest Room Facility

My question involves education law in the State of: WV

Kids came home stating that a transgender student transfered into the middle school. This is a male who dresses like a female and wishes to be refured to as a girl. The school is alowing this student to use the female rest room. Is there a law stating that males cannot use female rest room? This "boy" has all male parts he just dresses like a girl. How this child dress is up to him and his parents but when it comes to using the female rest room I don't think that is right. I have tried looking up on the BOE website to see if they have any info on this and came up empty. I looked up transgender students they have nothing, I looked up bathroom regulations found nothing. Any ideas on where I should look? For the record they are making him get changed for gym in the faculty rest rooms.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Transgender Students Use of Rest Room Facility

Do you have a boys restroom and a girls restroom in your house??? If the child is behind closed doors when doing his business, I fail to see the legal problem. Unless you and your husband or your sons EVER share a restroom.

CC, I haven't found any laws, yet making this illegal in WV. If I remember correctly, there are laws in some states restricting members of the opposite sex from using the incorrect restroom but:

this is a school. I see this as a real problem. This kid claims to be "transgendered" female yet has the plumbings of a male. Regardless of this being legal or not, I find it presents itself for myriad problems. There are often various levels of dress, and undress, experienced in a restroom. A female should not be subjected to what appears to be a male in this setting. Nor should a female have to be concerned a "male" observing them.

what I really would like to know is, is there any situations where a shower room comes in to play and which shower room is this person allowed to use?

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    Do you have a boys restroom and a girls restroom in your house??? If the child is behind closed doors when doing his business, I fail to see the legal problem. Unless you and your husband or your sons EVER share a restroom.
    This is a public rest room I'm talking about not a rest room in a home where there is one sink and one toilet. This has many stalls and sinks. A bathroom an a home and a bathroom in a shool are to very different things.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    CC, I haven't found any laws, yet making this illegal in WV. If I remember correctly, there are laws in some states restricting members of the opposite sex from using the incorrect restroom but:

this is a school. I see this as a real problem. This kid claims to be "transgendered" female yet has the plumbings of a male. Regardless of this being legal or not, I find it presents itself for myriad problems. There are often various levels of dress, and undress, experienced in a restroom. A female should not be subjected to what appears to be a male in this setting. Nor should a female have to be concerned a "male" observing them.

what I really would like to know is, is there any situations where a shower room comes in to play and which shower room is this person allowed to use?
    The kids are not required to actually shower for gym. This child was given a key to the faculty rest room for changing into and out of gym clothing. So he is NOT permitted to change in either the girls or boys locker room. I don't understand why he wasn't told to use the bathroom in the faculty bathroom as well.
    Most of the parents I have talked to and since this is a small town everybody knows everybody, the major issue people have is with this child using the female rest room. Other comments are being made about the morality of it but that is neither here not there bottom line is there are seperate facilities for a reason and why is one child being allowed to use the use the girls facility when any other boy in the girls bathroom would be punished?

This makes a wonderful arguement, I for one would be having it with the Board of Education and then the State Board of Education if things didn't work in my favor.

What age are we talking?

Transgender does not mean homosexual, this individaul could very well be heterosexual. I for one have a hard time believing that a school system would take this stand. If your going to seperate the child, seperate them all the time.

Do they seperate any other childen based on their dress preference? Because that what this is.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post
    Transgender does not mean homosexual, this individaul could very well be heterosexual. I for one have a hard time believing that a school system would take this stand. If your going to seperate the child, seperate them all the time.
    transgender may not mean homosexual but by virtue of the definition of transgender, they would in fact be homosexual in one way or another. If they were true to their gender ID, they would in fact be homosexual in regrds to their bio-gender. If they were true to their bio-gender, then they would be homosexual in regards to their gender ID.

In all reality, the fact their gender ID is what they identify with, they would in fact appear to be homosexual since they would be attracted to the same bio-gender as themselves, unless of course, their gender ID personality was homosexual. Then it gets really weird.
    So, from what perspective are you saying this person could be heterosexual?

bottom line: I don;t care what gender this person is attracted to, I do not believe the girls should be subject to the possibility of a "viewing" of this persons anatomy or the girls to be viewed by this person. Unless this school is different that just about any school I have been in or known anything about, girls change clothes in the restroom for one reason or another. They seem to do a lot of odd things in the restroom that as a guy, I could never quite figure out.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post

What age are we talking?

Do they seperate any other childen based on their dress preference? Because that what this is.
    I believe the child is a 7th grader according to my children.
    I don't get what you mean by seperating other kids based on dress preferance because most days when I go up to the school I really only see the kids in jeans and t shirts. It is rare if ever you see a girl in a dress/skirt. Most of the girls look like tom boys the majority of the time. If that is what your asking they are required to use the girls rest room.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post

I had missed this point.

No, this is not dress preference. That is a transvestite. A transvestite may or may not be homosexual as their style of dress has nothing truly to do with their gender ID.

With a transgendered individual, they "feel" like they are truly a member of the opposite sex as their bio gender. You know, the woman trapped in a mans body or vice versa. Transvestites do not have gender ID arguments, at least based on the transvestism. Transvestism is typically done for the sexual gratification, not because the person identifies with the opposite gender.

Default Re: Transgender Student's Use of Rest Room Facility

The situation has been resolved. Apparently so many parents called to complain this morning they just gave the kid the key to the faculty bathroom to use on a perminate basis. He is not to be in either the girls room or the boys room.

1. Sponsored Links