Default Taking Part-Time Classes While Collecting Unemployment Insurance

I used to work in the administrative / clerical field, looking for a job but find it extremely difficult like everyone else. I was thinking about signing up for a Microsoft Office class at the local community college, 9am-11am every Saturday, last 5 months, 1 semester. Is this allowed??? I tried calling the EDD phone line (California) but it's ALWAYS busy.

Default Re: California - Can I Take a Saturday Morning Class (2 Hours) and Collect UI

I don't see why it would be a problem, since it wouldn't interfere with your job search. In fact, it might be seen as a GOOD thing since it would increase your skills.

But ONLY the California EDD can say for certain.

Default Re: California - Can I Take a Saturday Morning Class (2 Hours) and Collect UI

If you get through and you get asked a question like, "What would you do if you got a job that required you to work on Saturday mornings," be sure your answer is something like, "Drop the class and take the job! In a heartbeat!" Attending classes shouldn't be a problem unless they interfere with your employability or reduce your available work hours.

If you want to know how classes relate to the "able and available" rules, details are here. See the material on "Voluntary School Attendance", including "Available For Full-Time Work While Attending School", "Willingness to Abandon School" and "Credibility of claimant willing to abandon or alter school schedule".

Default Re: Taking Part-Time Classes While Collecting Unemployment Insurance

Taking a Saturday class shouldn't be a problem. They are really hard on people taking classes during the day (9am -5pm, Mon - Fri).

1. Sponsored Links