Default Title Purchased, but Previous Owner Did Not Transfer

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Florida

I recently purchased a car from an individual that was visiting my area. The car broke down on him and he was trying to get to his home in Alabama. I purchased the vehicle and received the title. Got the vehicle and was ready to transfer the title into my name whaen I discovered he had purchased the car from another individual in Florida and was driving the vehicle to his home in Alabama, when it broke down, where I came into the scene. He signed the back of the title in a section reserved for Auto dealers. While trying to be a good guy I really didn't pay attention to the title state at purchase I just gave it a cursory look. Now Florida says I can't do anything with the vehicle until the person I bought the vehicle from fixes the title and places it in his name. Then a proper selling can occur and I can transfer the title normally. However, I can no longer reach the seller at the original info given to me. I have the original sellers name but haven't been able to reach them. Is there any other way out of this mess?

Default Re: Title Purchased, but Previous Owner Did Not Transfer

Not really. Your lack of attention to detail is nobody's fault but your own and to fix this, you will have to take the action the DMV told you to.

If you cannot reach the seller, this will be an expensive lesson since you will not be able to register this car or sell it as you do not have title to it and as such, cannot sell it.

1. Sponsored Links