Default Caught shoplifting at 17; will be 18 when I go to court

This week I was caught shop lifting @ Target.. The undercover lost prevention cops detained me, the stuff i stole (video games) was averaging $114. They took me into the security room, handcuffed me and gathered my information and saw that i had a CLEAN RECORD.. I was asking the officer if i would go to jail, but since i was cooperative he said no and uncuffed me. Then Target security took pictures of me, and my information as well. (they didnt tell me if i was banned for the store or anything about a civil demand) But the police officer gave me a notice telling me i need to appear in court Mar 20, they didnt call my parents though.. . Theres so many questons I need answered. Iam so terrfied the worst part is my parents doesnt even know yet and i dont know how to explain. I dont want to go to jail, and I dony want a criminal record. Friends told me to call target and apologize or see if I could just pay a fine.. but I think its too late for that.

1) Okay Iam 17 now(when the crime was committed), when i go to court Ill be 18. Do you think they will try me as an adult?

2) Since ill be 18 by then.. I have no way of having my record cleared?

3.) What are my chances of going to jail? I have a clean criminal record.

4.) What should I do at court? I cant afford a lawyer, Iam thinking about appointing one. Alot of people tell me I shouldnt plead guilty.. why is that?.. .I did commit the crime

Please respond anyone who knows information or has been in the same position I would really love to hear from u.. My nerves have been soo bad, cant sleep, havent been eating.. I'd really appreciate it.. Thank you

Default Re: Caught shoplifting at 17; will be 18 when I go to court

Quote Quoting PlzHelpMe
    1) Okay Iam 17 now(when the crime was committed), when i go to court Ill be 18. Do you think they will try me as an adult?
    It appears that North Carolina treats any offender aged 16 or older as an adult.

Quote Quoting PlzHelpMe
    2) Since ill be 18 by then.. I have no way of having my record cleared?
    Before conviction you can look into a deferment or diversion program, iv available. Afterward, you can explore expungement options, having your record sealed, or a pardon, to the extent permitted by state law.

Quote Quoting PlzHelpMe
    3.) What are my chances of going to jail? I have a clean criminal record.
    Minimal.

Quote Quoting PlzHelpMe
    4.) What should I do at court? I cant afford a lawyer, Iam thinking about appointing one.
    It would likely benefit you to consult a lawyer in relation to your case.

Thank you so much "Mr. Knowitall". Many of my friends were telling me I should find a lawyer, and that it wouldnt be too expensive because my crime isnt all that bad. And as for clearing my record, Is their a certain amount of time I need to wait in order to expunge it?

Default Expungement in NC

You can read an overview of North Carolina's expungement law here.

1. Sponsored Links