Question Misdiagnosed - Was Told I Had a Tumor

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Illinois. I became pregnant the summer of 2000. I had a couple of issues with spotting and was told to stay off my feet for a couple of days until the bleeding stopped. In October, I was sent to another hospital for an ultra sound to see what could be causing the spotting. I was told I had a large mass (a tumor) growing inside with my baby and was put on complete bed rest until I was 37 weeks. The doctor was afraid I would go into premature labor and bleed to death or the baby would not survive. After numerous ultra sounds, I was told the tumor finally stopped growing in Jan. My orginal due date was in March, 2001. The doctor induced labor Feb. 24. After the delivery of my baby, the doctor sits down to retrieve the tumor. There was no tumor and the doctor said the umbilical cord was larger than normal. However, she left the diagnoses as a tumor. Because of the diagnoses I was unable to work, which caused severe financial strain and suffering (and I am still trying to dig my way out the hole. I feel the hospital/Doctor should be held accountable for my suffering. I could have worked in another capacity at my job if it wasn't for the misdiagnoses. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Default Re: Misdiagnosed--Was Told I Had a Tumor

Quote Quoting kingbaby
    View Post
    I could have worked in another capacity at my job if it wasn't for the misdiagnoses.

What, exactly, does this mean?

Anyway, SOLs on medical malpractice are very short. In your state, it is two years, if I am not mistaken.

At the time, my job called for me to be on my feet for most of my shift. I could have taken a teaching position where I would have been sitting most of the day instead if the diagnoses was correct. At least I would have had some kind of income coming in. Not being able to provide for my other two children was depressing. I was forced to file for bankruptcy because I couldn't pay my bills. I almost lost my house. What made me suspicious is the doctor was gone by my six week checkup and they would not tell me where she was practicing so I could send her a picture of my daughter. As the doctor caller her my miracle baby.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, if the SOL was not up, do you think I would have a case? I thought the SOL's was 7 or 10 years in the state of Illinois.

I am not a medical malpractice attorney by even the most loose definition.

My reference notes the SOL on medical malpractice in Il. is two years.

As seniorjudge noted, you would have to talk to a medical malpractice attorney re the possibility of having had a case.

Default Re: Misdiagnosed - Was Told I Had a Tumor

Quote Quoting kingbaby
    View Post
    My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Illinois. I became pregnant the summer of 2000. I had a couple of issues with spotting and was told to stay off my feet for a couple of days until the bleeding stopped. In October, I was sent to another hospital for an ultra sound to see what could be causing the spotting. I was told I had a large mass (a tumor) growing inside with my baby and was put on complete bed rest until I was 37 weeks. The doctor was afraid I would go into premature labor and bleed to death or the baby would not survive. After numerous ultra sounds, I was told the tumor finally stopped growing in Jan. My orginal due date was in March, 2001. The doctor induced labor Feb. 24. After the delivery of my baby, the doctor sits down to retrieve the tumor. There was no tumor and the doctor said the umbilical cord was larger than normal. However, she left the diagnoses as a tumor. Because of the diagnoses I was unable to work, which caused severe financial strain and suffering (and I am still trying to dig my way out the hole. I feel the hospital/Doctor should be held accountable for my suffering. I could have worked in another capacity at my job if it wasn't for the misdiagnoses. Is there anything I can do at this point?
    This Physician acted well within the standard of care. The diagnosis was made by ulatrasound. You were carefully watched & given recommendations that would best preserve your pregnancy AND your chances of delivering a healthy baby. Thank goodness it turned out the way it did.

1. Sponsored Links