Default I Am a College Student, This is My First Offense

My question involves criminal law for the state of: PA

I am 21 and have never done anything so stupid. I was charged with retail theft at a walmart in my area it is a first offense and the merch was under 50 dollars. I have to appear in front of the magistrate tommorrow morning and I am scared out of my mind. What can I expect? Will I be arrested

Default Re: I Am a College Student, This is My First Offense

Quote Quoting notathief9967
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: PA

I am 21 and have never done anything so stupid. I was charged with retail theft at a walmart in my area it is a first offense and the merch was under 50 dollars. I have to appear in front of the magistrate tommorrow morning and I am scared out of my mind. What can I expect? Will I be arrested
    If you are going before the magistrate, you have already been charged.

Plead not guilty and ask that a public defender be appointed to you. Here, it doesn't mean you didn't do it, it just gives you access to the game. If you plead guilty, the judge will immediately begin the sentencing phase... and this is where you want the help of an attorney.

Ask that public defender about sentencing options that will keep this off your record.

Plan on receiving a civil demand in the mail. This is a civil remedy to make the retailer "whole" and is above an beyond any fine the court hands down. Pay it... odds are, when you were being processed at the store, you signed something allowing them to pursue this remedy.

Plan on a penalty of a fine, community service and probation. Complete everything in the time frame allotted by the court and you should be okay.

DO NOT BLOW OFF the conditions of your probation.

Default Re: I Am a College Student, This is My First Offense

If I seek the assistance of a court appointed attorney will I have to appear in court again. The offense mentioned is really a misunderstanding and my hands being so full that when I checked out I simply didn't realize an item had gotten caught under my jacket. I am really scared I just want this to be over with.

1. Sponsored Links