Default Minor in Possession by Wildlife Rangers in Tennessee

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tennessee

Myself and two other buddies were riding through mountain roads in a national forest here in TN. We were blocked in by about 6 TWRA agents and they shined flashlights in the truck and saw that I had beer and pulled me out and gave me a fieild sobreity test. I passed but I did admit that I had drank two beers at a buddies house earlier and also admitted that I had someone buy the beer for me. They gave me a MIP citation with a court date, and the discription on the citation is that I was in possession of the alcohol and that someone else bought it for me but it said nothing about me drinking at all.

What do you guys think Im facing in court?? This is an absolute first for anything, I have a squeaky clean record and Im only 19...Do you guys think I need a lawyer? and another thing I am set to ship out for the Air Force in one month, do you think the judge will be lenient because of that??

Default Re: Minor in Possession by Wildlife Rangers in Tennessee

You're going off to a state court?
    Quote Quoting Tennessee Code, Sec. 57-5-301
    (e) (1) It is unlawful for any person under twenty-one (21) years of age to have in the person's possession beer for any purpose, and it is unlawful for any such minor to transport beer for any purpose except the same be in the course of employment.

(2) A violation of subdivision (e)(1) is a Class A misdemeanor.

(3) Any person under twenty-one (21) years of age found to have violated the provisions of subdivision (e)(1) shall, regardless of the final disposition of such violation, have the right to have the records, as defined in 40-32-101, of such violation destroyed after the passage of six (6) months from the date of the violation. Such destruction shall occur upon motion of the person to the court which heard the violation and shall be without cost to such person.
    A Class A misdemeanor carries a possible jail sentence of 11months and 29 days, with a maximum fine of $2,500.00; although jail isn't likely for a first offense.

1. Sponsored Links