Default Prescribed Wrong Amounts of Meds

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: FL

I originally went to my doctors office back in Sept or Oct for knee pain that has been getting worse over the years and now flares up quite abit. At that time I was put on inflammatory medication and also Tramadol. Well, the Tramadol wasn't working to well so they then put me on Hydrocodone 5mg and gave me a script for 60 a month with one refill. They wanted me to get an MRI done however my insurance doesn't cover enough of it so I could not afford it right away. So the Nurse Practitioner said she would continue the scripts until I was able to get the MRI done.

Well, my script was up and it was time for a refill. This practitioner I was dealing with no longer worked at my doctor office so I dealt with a Doctor and he asked what I was taking and suggested I go to 120 pills at 7.5 mg. I was reluctant but this was coming form a doctor so I took them. Well, the doctors instructions were to take 1 every 4 hours so I ran out before the month was up. I called the doctor and he said he suggested to go to 180 pills at 10 mg this time as these would work better. Again I was reluctant as they were stronger but these were doctor ordered so I took them. From here on out until today I continued to get 180 of these pills. Today I receive a letter in the mail from my Doctors office from a different doctor stating she is dropping me as a patient due to and I quote "The primary difficulty has been your drug seeking behavior". I am at this point in shock as I did not seek out this medication and have never taken anything like this until it was recently prescribed to me. She goes on in the letter to say that I should seek medical care quickly so I don't jeopardize my health. I called the doctors office today to talk to this doctor whom I have never met yet and is dropping me as a patient to find out what is going on and the person on the phone who answered it stated she would not speak to me and I was shocked so I then asked for the original doctor who prescribed the script and she stated that doctor had been fired and she said this was one of the reasons why. At this point I became worried that I might be facing health problems because of my doctor office prescribing something they should not have been and this became apparent to me because they fired the doctor that prescribed it. My concern is that I have been singled out as some type of drug seeking person and that I may have health problems arise from this medication that was prescribed to me. I find that I am terribly lazy all the time, short tempered and really have just lost the will to achieve anything on this prescription I am on that apparently I never needed. I seek your advice on how this should be handled. How bad are these 10 mg hydrocodones that I take 6 of everyday? How can a doctor blame me for another doctors inability to perform his duties and drop a patient like this? I am really worried here.

Default Re: Prescribed Wrong Amounts of Meds

So you had a Tramadol prescription and you said it didn't work, so you got hydrocodone, 5mg, 2 per day.

You later called your doctor and said "I still have pain, so I need more," and you got what you asked for, 120 pills at 7mg, 4 per day. Your initial reaction was, "Wow, this is more than I expected," and were "reluctant" to take them, but you not only took them - you took them in excess of the prescription. Even though it was way more than you expected, you didn't "do the math" - "120 pills to be taken every four hours over the course of a month... that's four per day - they mean during my waking hours" - and managed to take six per day.

Then you went back to your doctor again and said, "It's still not enough to relieve my pain," and got a prescription for 180 pills at 10 mg, 6 per day. That apparently was enough to relieve your pain, so you've been taking 60mg of hydrocodone each day for several months.

So your problem is not that you received more hydrocodone that you wanted, or more than you claimed to the doctor that you needed. Your problem is that your doctor was a bit fast and loose with his prescription pad resulting in his being fired, and your doctor's office interprets your history as reflecting a pattern of drug seeking behavior and no longer wants you as a patient.

Ask your doctor's office for a referral to a pain management clinic that deals with dependency issues, and see if they'll give you a name. At the levels of hydrocodone you describe, it sounds like you should taper off or switch to another medication in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Your leaving some MAJOR parts of the story out. For starters, your history of pain medication. Tramadol is a narcotic med to treat moderate to severe chronic pain . So if your saying that you were taking this and it wasn't working, something is majorly wrong here. It also says that all the stuff before didn't work, leading up to this drug.

So when you go from Ultram to Vicoden even at that strength, the vicoden is not likely going to do anything for you for the relief of your pain.

Why didn't you follow up with the MRI as ordered? If you were unable due to either financial or other reasons, which is exactly what happened, you should have communicated that to your physician so a different course of treatment could have been explored. Like pain management. Ignoring the issue lead them to conclude that you have drug seeking behavior. I would say that I too agreee. But thats based on the fact that people don't just go on ultram without going thru a whole lot of other stuff first.
    To clairfy something for you, drug seeking behavior in the medical field means there is a patient that wants the drugs but doesnt want to follow up with proper treatment/care. It could be not getting an MRI or consulting with pain managment. Its called non compliance. The physician has the right to fire you as a patient for non compliance. Insurance companies are starting to do the same. (like leaving the hospital against medical advice).

My concern is that I have been singled out as some type of drug seeking person and that I may have health problems arise from this medication that was prescribed to me.
    Your lack of following up with your prescribed care caused this. As far as health problems? None that wasn't likely there prior to the Ultram
    I find that I am terribly lazy all the time, short tempered and really have just lost the will to achieve anything on this prescription I am on that apparently I never needed.
    I imagine with all the viocden you have a difficult time fuctioning. If you never really needed it then why did you a) ask for pain meds to begin with and b) continue to not only fill the prescription but fill them knowing they were higher doses. c) have you ever read the pharmacy insert?
    How can a doctor blame me for another doctors inability to perform his duties and drop a patient like this? I am really worried here.
    You don't have ANY proof that physician didn't preform his duties. Being slap happy with the prescription pad doesn't equate to malpractice with you. Again, your being blaimed for YOUR actions in continuing to go back to the office to get higher doses of meds and your lack of action of following up with the MRI. The new physician also has a copy and can get a copy of the drugs you have recieved and filled via your pharmacy. They also aren't in the habit of firing patients without just cause.
    As I stated before, your leaving very important information out here. My guess here is that the MRI that was ordered wasn't the first time it was ordered. You need to look at this as a blessing and maybe now you'll be able to find someone who can properly take care of you and manage your pain properly.

Tramadol is NOT a narcotic for starters.

You don't say that when you returned to the physician you complained that you were in pain despite taking the meds...were you? You were obviously not missing a dose and this alone could prompt the physician to up your dose...if he is a shitty physician which this guy obviously was. why have you still not had an MRI? Why have you not seen an orthopedic surgeon?

1. Sponsored Links