Default Any Rights to Request Parole Officer Change

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

Many Thanks, I have 2 questions below, here is a bit of background:

I am writing on behalf of a family member who I am most concerned about. He was arrested quite a few years ago for a sex offence (it was not rape or forced) and is now a felon, not sure, but I think he served little or no time, but was on probation for many years. At that time, he also attended a mandatory set of classes in which he completed.

Not long ago, he was arrested for having a weapon in his possession. There was nothing sexual involved, no threats or such things.. but had a weapon for protection (lives in bad neighborhood) and was arrested and served around 5 months. Then was released ..but now on house arrest for about a year.

FIRST QUESTION IS THIS: For some reason, they are making him take the sexual classes again. Even though he has had no sexual crime committed with this charge, no intent, nothing of the sort. He completed the classes long ago and was cleared of being a danger. I am wondering.. since they make him pay a fee ( a pretty dang good amount) each time, if this is not some sort of racket?

SECOND QUESTION: The particular parole officer he has, just really seems to be overly threatening him. Over the top threats and scares. Unreasonable time pressures alotted for what travels he is able to do (which is extremely limited..and nearly impossible unless he were a nascar driver). I do not want to list all of the crazy things this parole officer is doing, as I am afraid that somehow it would be recognized on here..and I do not want to bring any repercussions (sp?) on my family member who I truly am afraid is going to have a heart attack or something from all of this stress. My family member is quite an older man. So.... IS THERE ANY WAY HE CAN GET A NEW PAROLE OFFICER? And if so, how to do it in such a way, that this other one doesn't find out and then come down even harder on him if we fail?

Please help if you have any advice or experience with such matters. And if so, please be as clear as possible, as some of the terminology I may not be familiar with. I am out of my league on this one.. and know nothing of how these things work. But am darn sure going to try.

Default Re: Any Rights to Request Parole Officer Change

He can go to the parole officer's supervisor and ask, "May I be assigned to a different parole officer?" The most likely answer will be "No." And his parole officer will learn of it. If he articulates even a slightly valid basis to change officers, his parole officer would have every right to know about and respond to his accusations.

Lots of people don't like their parole officers. Lots of people think their parole officers are too hard on them, make them do too much to prove they're on the straight and narrow, punish them too severely for their violations, etc. But all of that is in a parole officer's job description.

Thank-you for your forthcoming answer. I kind of figured that may be the case.

Though, that does seem like a mighty strange job description for a parole officer. Not sure how anyone who was priveleged to be let back into society can gain too much confidence to succeed over those circumstances.
    I am not giving up.
    And also still need to find the answer to my first question regarding why he is taking these classes again. A trip to the courthouse for info resulted in an "I really don't know." haha. Wow. Very scary, all of this.

Many Thanks for your reply.

I am guessing it is because the PO thinks he still needs them.

What was the exact crime? you have thrown out a lot of "wasn't bad" and other excuses why he is not only a felon but in possession of a weapon in direct violation of probation.

1. Sponsored Links