Question How Long Does a Builders Lien Stay with My Property

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: British Columbia Canada

A lien was place on my house a year ago, 10 months after work was done but not finished. I origanally put down 50% of the cost for the renovation however I had issue with damage to the new cabinets and the fact there was a door missing on one of them. I explained to the company that I would not pay the last of the 50% as I wanted someone to see the damage and deal with it in a monetary manner plus the fact I needed 1 door. Nothing was ever rectified by the company to deal with the damage and I still have no door for one of my cabinets. Now, January 2009 I've receive a Claim of Builders Lien. The lawyers are demanding full payment along with legal fees of $400. within 14 days or they will commence legal action. I have no problem coming to a compromise with the company however I refuse to pay the full amount. The job was done in April of 2007 and the lien was made February of 2008. My questions are:

1. Can a lien be put on my house 10 months after they were on the premise? 2. How long does the lien stay on my house?
    3. How do I get the lien off the house?
    4. What legal action can they take?
    5. Should I contact the person who put the lien on the house and try to deal with this out of court?

Please advise, thank you.

Default Re: How Long Does a Builders Lien Stay with My Property

This is a U.S. board. You'll probably have more luck getting Canadian legal information with a Canadian service such as Legal Line.

1. Sponsored Links