Default Condo Association Towed Renter's Car

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: Illinois

We have a condo we rent. The renters car was towed at the request of the condo association (the management company) who told us it was abandoned. The rules for the association state you may not park a car in the lot that is not operational or that is leaking oil etc. This was not the case. We submitted the paperwork to the association about the renters car, license number, and unit number previoiusly. The renter had not used his car for a while as he was walking ot a nearby train station and using the train. Because of long hours, he didn't need the car which sat in the lot. There is no rule about not using an operating car. Then the association told us they needed to tow it to clear the snow. But there is no rule about towing for this reason. The towing charge and storage was over $400! What action can I take to get the management company to pay the costs and abide by the rules.

Default Re: Condo Association Towed Renter's Car

Without reading the by-laws, there is no way for us to determine its contents. Under Snow Removal (or a similar heading) what does it say regarding vehicles blocking the path of snow removal equipment?

Many of my friends, condo owners, has a clause that states the association MAY tow a vehicle if it prohibits snow removal equipment from clearing a thoroughfare (map included or streets listed).

There is nothing in the posted by-laws about snow removal. Nothing about an "abandoned" car. Only specific reference is to an inoperaperable vehicle (this vehicle was operational).

Then I would send them a certified letter/return receipt, requesting payment for the tow and impound fees. State that there is noting in the by-laws that mentions towing of a working vehicle (which they knew about), nor is anything documented with regards to snow removal and towing of vehicles that pose a hazard. Mention too that you received two different explanations as to why the vehicle was towed; again, none of which are outlined in the by-laws.

Include a copy of the bill, and respectfully request payment, in full, within 30 days.

1. Sponsored Links