Default Is It Legal to Post IP's of Confirmed Cheaters for a Gaming Forum

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Oregon

hello and thank you for having a great feature for General Law ?'s to be answered

I am a member of a community that is resposible for checking gamers that show up in their server that also check their in game use of being Cheat Free
    this organization is responsible for every aspect of their Paid Servers and on the side they run an intelligent forum as well where they host In Game known cheaters names and IP's where applicable

NOW THIS ORGANIZATION IS ASSOCIATED WITH the NACC and the Anticheat foundation that governs their participation within their group.. ok onto my ?

In this organization they have a program that watches PC packets and looks for known cheats to appear in gamers profiles if found the info from that person is automatically saved within this program as well as a replay of that person while in game... THIS ALLOWS THEM TO GO BACK AND VIEW AND TAG THE FILE AS APPEARANT AS TO WHAT IS BEING USED AND WHAT THEY ARE USING THE CHEAT FOR

ok after all have been reviewed they write a report up showwing all info including all names that have been used under the IP listing that user has had while in any of their known servers,

...my ? involves the release of their information and that of the IP's that are caught in use of cheats and displayed within the catalogged information that is contained within the review program... is this legal to do so ? and does the law differ if it is not a server that is located within the USA

for instance this is taken from a report that was generated here as of recently
    this person was found to be using cheats within the system and was posted on for doing so and then was banned from the servers

***NOTE***
    i have ommited some info from the listing below as this is a partial listing

LEFT: 2007/02/14 17:55:33 [ip51d28f.speed.planet.nl][86.81.210.143:]aX \/anDalisM ([id:13] after 59m:51s)
    JOIN: 2007/02/14 16:55:45 [ip51d28f.speed.planet.nl][86.81.210.143:aX \/anDalisM ([id:13])
    LEFT: 2007/02/08 13:12:22 [ip51d28f.speed.planet.nl][86.81.210.143:]aX \/anDalisM ([id:3] after 16m:54s)
    JOIN: 2007/02/08 12:55:28 [ip51d28f.speed.planet.nl][86.81.210.143:]aX \/anDalisM ([id:3])
    LEFT: 2007/01/28 16:26:24 [ip51d28f.speed.planet.nl][86.81.210.143:]itF \/anDalisM ([id:20] after 11m:42s)
    JOIN: 2007/01/28 16:14:42 [ip51d28f.speed.planet.nl][86.81.210.143:]itF \/anDalisM ([id:20])

Default Re: Is It Legal to Post IP's of Confirmed Cheaters for a Gaming Forum

If the IP's are used to log into your server, it is legal to post them.

Quote Quoting Raijin
    View Post
    is this legal to do so?
    Make sure your terms of service / privacy policy makes it clear that you don't protect IP addresses and reserve the right to publish them.
    Quote Quoting Raijin
    and does the law differ if it is not a server that is located within the USA
    It may. Check the laws of that country.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    If the IP's are used to log into your server, it is legal to post them.
    YES ALL THE IP'S THT ARE LISTED IN THE REPORTS COME FROM THOSE THAT HAVE LOGGED INTO ONE OF THE 4-5 GAME SERVERS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED FOR EXAMS AND PROOF OF CHEATING, FOR THOSE THAT ARE NOT FOUND TO BE CHEATING THEY ARE NOT RELEASED

in any note Thank you for your help this will be great for the Admin of the forum whom i represent

Hello,

I have a very similar question and will post it here hoping an answer.
    I own a forum hosted in US and would like to publicly post IP addresses of few users how abuse our services. Is it legal to post these IP addresses considering I would clearly state it in the Terms Of Use and Privacy Policy?

Thank you.

1. Sponsored Links