Default Can Police Search My Room if I Was Not Present when My Roommates Let Them in House

My question involves search and seizure law in the State of: Arizona

I live in a condo with four separate bedrooms with four separate leases. I went out to the backyard to smoke a cigarette and wait for my friend to come over when a few police officers came around the side of my house. They immediately started asking me where the weed was. When I asked them they said they came over because of a report of a fight at a neighbors and they said they then smelled weed from our house. they kept asking me about my weed smoking habits and I just kept asking why and telling them their accusations are irrelevant. but they still kept accusing me. and another officer came over with a bong that they had found in my room. They asked if i was the one who lived upstairs and i said that I was. but I never consented to any search and didn't admit any responsibility to possessing any weed or even owning the bong. They took me to jail and charged me with possession of drug paraphernalia. I'm talking to lawyers because I feel that my constitutional liberties were completely violated. I mean I was just out back not being a criminal and out of nowhere I have 6 cops in my face. My roommates obviously let them in somehow but that doesn't mean my own rights are out the window right??

Default Re: Can Police Search My Room if I Was Not Present when My Roommates Let Them in Hous

You'll have to wait until your attorney can read the report and ascertain what legal authority (if any) the police had to make entry and seize the item in question. Until then, all we can suggest is that you make sure you keep your dope and paraphernalia carefully stashed, and when you smoke, keep the house tightly buttoned up.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links