Question Buyer Didn't Transfer Title, then Sold Car Again

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California

Here is my problem:
    I sold a VW to X in April 2008. A month ago I get a call from Y saying he bought the car from X. Y tells me that there was a problem in the title however, and he has not been able to put the car in his name. Y tells me he can't find X to see if X can fix the problem. Y asked me to sign a document declaring that I sold him the car in June 2008 in order to fix the title. I have told him I will NOT sign this document (under penalty of perjury) because I did not sell him the car, I sold X the car. I'm not going to potentially get myself in trouble over this....
    What I believe happened is that X never registered the car into his name, and never signed the title. Instead he just gave the pink slip I gave him to Y when he sold Y the car.
    I want to help Y get the title sorted out, and I want to be OUT of the situation, however, I'm not willing to fabricate what happened to do that either. The DMV has not been helpful, as they are the people who told Y just to have me sign a new bill of sale saying I sold him the car, when this is NOT what happened.
    I have no idea how to get this sorted out.

Default Re: Buyer Didn't Transfer Title, then Sold Car Again

This should be an easy one. When you sold the car to X, you filled out the section regarding the sale and sent it to the DMV...right?? OK, so maybe you didn't, even though you're legally required to do so. But...it's not too late.

Go on the DMV website and you can fill out the form on-line even though it's been awhile. After that, tell Y that he'll have to sort it out with the DMV since they have a record that you sold the car to X. It's nice that you're interested in helping Y, but he should have been diligent in avoiding the problem. Good luck!

ChuckyCheese,
    Do you mean the release of liability/notice of transfer? I did fill that out and sent it to the DMV, and I checked that they do have it on file.
    You're right though, the problem would have been avoided had Y just insisted on getting a proper title from X....

If it was all properly recorded by the DMV (and it sound as though it was), you're done with it. I think involving yourself further would be a mistake and would certainly not serve you well. Let Y get it straightened out. You've done your part.

1. Sponsored Links