Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Distributing Somebody's Modeling Pictures

My question involves defamation in the state of: Connecticut

I was given a laptop by a friend of mine to fix. The girl some pictures from a photo shoot she had done through modeling. I was fixing the computer at the park with a couple of friends and they happen to have saw the pictures. At the time, I had no intention of degrading her character or anything like that, I just thought that the pictures were really nice and some of my friends had seen them. I made NO copies of the pictures whatsoever, or brought it up again. Today, she had called me and said that she is going to be persuing a lawyer because of this. I want to know what are my options, and am I really in that much of trouble. Thanks

Default Re: Modeling Pictures

Let me ask you this....

If, instead of her modeling photos, you had started showing everyone her 2007 tax return, do you think she would have a case?

You had no right to show the shots.

Further, if they were nude shots, you may get to face some VERY interesting charges.

She was not nude in any of the pictures. This happened months ago, and nothing has happened because of what I had done. She just found out about this from one of the people and now she's mad.

Quote Quoting SlipVayne
    View Post
    She was not nude in any of the pictures. This happened months ago, and nothing has happened because of what I had done. She just found out about this from one of the people and now she's mad.
    As is her right.

She gave you the computer to fix. I am not sure why YOU were looking at the files on her computer much less having a show.

I happened to stumble upon them.

Quote Quoting SlipVayne
    View Post
    I happened to stumble upon them.
    I am not going to play the "minimize what I did because I don't think it was that big a deal" game.

you stumbled upon them, then reviewed them long enough to make a decision about their quality and THEN started showing them to random strangers.

You stepped in it.

Again, the PROPER response when fixing a computer when you stumble upon something is to CLOSE it... not start showing it to folks.

what kind of charges could I be facing and what would be my best defense? if any...

Quote Quoting SlipVayne
    View Post
    what kind of charges could I be facing and what would be my best defense? if any...
    Wait until you are charged... if at all... then come back.

However, if the model has been harassed or embarrassed by your actions, I would worry more about a civil suit.

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Wait until you are charged... if at all... then come back.
    What criminal statute do you believe could apply?
    Quote Quoting cyjeff
    However, if the model has been harassed or embarrassed by your actions, I would worry more about a civil suit.
    On what cause of action? With what damages?

Oh, I'll grant that this "innocently fixing a computer in the park when a bunch of my friends happened along" story sounds like a load of bunk, and (particularly if this is a professional service provider) there may be some body of consumer law that applies, and some states have "invasion of privacy"-type torts, but (unless the pictures were more risqué than we've been told) I'm not really seeing much of anything in the way of damages.

Like I mentioned before, It was not my intention to use the pictures against her in any way. I was sitting on the grass, with my friends around me. They were watching what I was doing, and when I stumbled upon the pictures we took a look at some of them. We thought they were pretty good and thats where we left of. I don't believe anyone commented anything bad to her about them, she just found out we saw them. When she did give me the laptop to fix, she asked me to copy the pictures on a CD for her if I was forced to delete them off the hard drive, in example if I had to have formatted the drive. I was 17 at the time, and in no way a professional. I was given the laptop to fix because I know my way around computers.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast