Post Careless Driving Ticket, Summons In Florida

My question involves a careless driving ticket from the State of: Florida.
    I was involved in a car accident on I-95 on New Year's Eve where i swerved off the road and hit the back of a parked tractor trailer on the side of the road. The tractor trailer suffered no damage but my car was totalled. I suffered serious injuries and was in the hospital for 11 days. There were no witneses and the state trooper only issued a "Driver Exchange Of Information" report at the time. Today i was visited by a deputy who gave me a summons to appear in criminal court "To Answer To Information" charging me with Careless Driving (State Statute 316.1925) along with a copy of the traffic citation charging me as such. First of all, it is my understanding that the charge of Careless driving in the state of Florida is a civil infraction which does not require an appearance in court (its even checked so on the ticket!). There are also what appear to be factual errors on the ticket itself which may or may not have led to the court summons. It states that there was injury to ANOTHER and serious bodily injury to ANOTHER, which there wasn't. Other than that, i don't know why i would be required to go to court for this. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Careless Driving Ticket/Summons In Florida

In the state of Florida, careless driving is a moving violation, punishable by fines.

It appears that accidents in which any personal injuries are involved require a court appearance.

In any case, when the court says "Come here", you go there. Failure to do so, regardless of reason, usually results in a warrant being issued for your arrest.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links