Default Harassing Phone Calls

Hi,
    I am located in Texas and I have read the law that pertains to phone harassment but a "X friend" of mine keeps making harassing phone calls to me at work from her cell phone. Last week she made repeated phone calls even stating at one time that she would call every minute of every day if she wished. There hasn't been any threats of bodily harm yet it's just very annoying and interrupts my business.

I called AT&T and order call block but come to find out this only works on land lines. Is there any thing I can do? with out threats being involved would the police even waste time with it?

I thought about calling the cell provider to see if they would do anything about it. It seems strange that the phone company couldn't block it!

The person in question here is on probation for a pryer offence that is unrelated as well.

Thanks
    Ryan

Default Re: Harassing Phone Calls

only your cell phone provider can block a call to your cell phone.

Why is she so motivated to call you?

Quote Quoting Ryan08
    View Post
    Hi,

I called AT&T and order call block but come to find out this only works on land lines. Is there any thing I can do? with out threats being involved would the police even waste time with it?

I thought about calling the cell provider to see if they would do anything about it. It seems strange that the phone company couldn't block it!

The person in question here is on probation for a pryer offence that is unrelated as well.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Texas law is very specific:

Harassment

42.07. Harassment. Amended 2002.

(a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, or embarrass another, he:

(1) initiates communication by telephone, in writing, or by electronic communication and in the course of the communication makes a comment, request, suggestion, or proposal that is obscene;

(2) threatens, by telephone, in writing, or by electronic communication, in a manner reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the threat, to inflict bodily injury on the person or to commit a felony against the person, a member of his family or household, or his property;

(3) conveys, in a manner reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the report, a false report, which is known by the conveyor to be false, that another person has suffered death or serious bodily injury;

(4) causes the telephone of another to ring repeatedly or makes repeated telephone communications anonymously or in a manner reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, embarrass, or offend another;

(5) makes a telephone call and intentionally fails to hang up or disengage the connection;

(6) knowingly permits a telephone under the person's control to be used by another to commit an offense under this section; or

(7) sends repeated electronic communications in a manner

If she's calling your cell phone, you should have excellent records to take to police. Couldn't hurt to call probation too - on the off chance that she's still on probation. Same records might be taken before a local magistrate in a request for a restraining order. Other options include asking AT&T to change your number (which they'll do for free in harassment cases, especially if you have called about it before, or better yet, have filed a police report), or you can check out phones like the LG400 that allow you to selectively block numbers as a feature of the phone itself (it basically disconnects the call for you before your phone even rings).

Ryan,

I am having the same thing happening to me right now! My boyfriend's ex wife repeatedly calls me at work and calls him at work. She's even ordered a dozen pizzas online and sent them to his house and here where we work together! Please let me know if you hear of anything you can do. I too called my provider and they could not do anything in the state of WV.

1. Sponsored Links