Default Caught Shoplifting, So When's the Court Date

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois. My daughter (15) was charged with shoplifting but it was over the amount for misdemeanor shoplifting. The store's loss prevention worker said that it was a felony. She was arrested in the store and I had to go to the police station to get her. She's not been in trouble before. I signed a release form at the police station. She was fingerprinted and told her Miranda rights. This happened Nov 7, 2008. I received a letter in December from the store involved and have paid restitution. She's been banned from the store for life. I contacted a lawyer immediately after the incident who told me to send him a copy of the "courthouse letter" and he would advise me at that time. We've heard nothing from the court. How long does it take to be notified of a court date?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting, So When's the Court Date

You should have been notified by ow. It might wise to call court or even Police for status of case

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    You should have been notified by ow. It might wise to call court or even Police for status of case
    What happens if I don't call? I guess I'm hoping that the paperwork has been lost and she'll never get a notice to appear. And, do they send the notice by certified or registered mail? Or does it come in the regular mail?

Quote Quoting Illinois Mother
    View Post
    We've heard nothing from the court. How long does it take to be notified of a court date?
    The only thing I could find in the rules is if a defendant that is out on bail/recognizance demands a trial, it must be commenced within 160 days. If not demanded they may be within a right not to commence a prosecution as long as it is within the statute of limitations, which would probably be 2 years, without checking.

Sec. 103‑5. Speedy trial.

(b) Every person on bail or recognizance shall be tried by the court having jurisdiction within 160 days from the date defendant demands trial unless delay is occasioned by the defendant...

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ure+of+1963%2E

View Post
    What happens if I don't call? I guess I'm hoping that the paperwork has been lost and she'll never get a notice to appear. And, do they send the notice by certified or registered mail? Or does it come in the regular mail?

Probably regular mail, but they could even HAND deliver a summons.

View Post
    Not calling is not a wise idea. If they sent the notice regular mail and you missed it, she could have missed a court date, which would make matters worse. Assuming that she is going to juvenile court, you should also get a summons to appear with her.

1. Sponsored Links